Sunday, November 05, 2017

Sunday 11 5 17 morning call

Just a lovely noseriding session in Lahaina for me yesterday. I heard the wind at Hookipa got lighter late in the morning and the conditions weren't too bad, but I'm happy with my call to drive on the other side. I just love it there.

In the afternoon I went to check out the windsurfing contest, but my attention was caught by a group of three downwind SUP foilers (Connor Baxter, Kody Kerbox and another one that I couldn't identify).

Here's Levi Siver zipping through them in a moment in which they're all resting and relaxed. But they were pumping and paddling pretty intensely for most of the time. From what I saw, I'm not ready for that yet, both from the technical and physical points of view. Maybe with a bigger foil.
Interestingly, none of them is using footstraps.


The conditions were very tricky for a contest, but they ranked pretty high (like a 9) for my taste for freesailing. Offshore and very light on the inside. They ran many heats of the Pros, but the completion of that bracket requires at least two more days.
Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.



4am significant buoy readings
South shore

SE
1.5ft @ 12s from 171° (S)

That is the only southerly energy reading at the outer buoys. The past couple of days there were none and the waves were nonetheless knee to waist high on the south shore, so I'm guessing it's gonna be more of the same today.

North shore
NW001
3ft @ 12s from 295° (WNW)

N
7ft @ 8s from 53° (ENE)

Waimea
3ft @ 14s from 306° (WNW)

Mokapu
4.6ft @ 7s from 60° (ENE)

The NW swell peaked yesterday, but today is still at 3f 14s at Waimea. The shorter period NE energy from the many NE fetches we've observed in the past few days is already at Mokapu and it's predicted to increase in the next several days. Surfline has 6.4f 8s at 2pm today building to 7.6f 9s tomorrow at 2pm. Much longer period northerly energy predicted for Friday/Saturday (the related fetch will show on the map starting tomorrow).

Wind map at noon shows strong easterly trades.


North Pacific shows a weak and distant WNW fetch and a close NE windswell one.


South Pacific has a small southerly fetch.


Morning sky shows some clouds.


And this is how the rain radar looks at 5.35am.
 

No comments: