Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Tuesday 9 25 18 morning call

A shortboard and a SUP foiling session for me yesterday, which reminded me the following three things:
- surfing on a mushy waist high wave requires a lot of pumping to generate speed. Took me a couple of rides to adjust, as I got spoiled by those perfect bigger/steeper waves I surfed in my trip
- SUP foiling is so much fun (didn't do any in my trip)
- Maui is gorgeous. My trip was so glorious that I was having a bit of a blues the first couple of days upon returning, but yesterday I was able to tune into Maui's magic again.

Here's Dave Kalama gliding on the glassy waves of the early morning.


This photo shows why SUP foiling boards have beveled rails. A more square rail would be touching the water in this cut back. We have plenty Kalama boards at Hi-Tech.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
4ft @ 10s from 157° (SSE)
3.6ft @ 7s from 112° (ESE)
1.9ft @ 14s from 196° (SSW)
1.1ft @ 18s from 217° (SW)
 
SW
4.3ft @ 9s from 101° (ESE)
1.7ft @ 6s from 94° (E)
1.7ft @ 14s from 182° (S)
 
SE
2.3ft @ 14s from 179° (S)
 
Barbers
2.1ft @ 9s from 192° (SSW)
1.8ft @ 11s from 189° (S)
1.4ft @ 15s from 204° (SSW)
 
Lanai
1.3ft @ 10s from 185° (S)
1.3ft @ 14s from 188° (S)
1.3ft @ 11s from 178° (S)
 
I usually prune some of the readings at the buoys if I don't consider them significant, but in this case I left them all, as they will all be in the water. That was the case yesterday on the south shore, but, as reported, there were up to occasionally chest high waves. The 14-15s component is still 1.3-1.4 feet locally (the best waves were from that) and that 1.1f 18s at the W buoy looks promising. Nothing to be excited about, but I don't think it will be flat. I will report as soon as I get there.
In the meantime this early morning set at Ala Moana looks promising.


It would be nice if there was a local Maui webcam, so here's the message again: I've been contacted by an Ozolio representative seeking for help in finding a business that would be interested in hosting a webcam in Lahaina. Here's one of things he outlined:"A unique thing about our services is that we can add advertisements to display before the stream as well as imbed ad's and overlay images into the stream itself. Along with social media functions like click button Facebook & Youtube live publishing. This would be an incentive for anyone that would consider installing a camera."
Please help me spread the word, if you know someone interested.

North shore
Pauwela
4.5ft @ 8s from 77° (ENE)
 
Hookipa looked tiny at sunset yesterday. This morning, thanks to the lack of wind, I hear a little more noise of breaking waves through my window, so I believe it won't be flat over there either.

Wind map at noon. The model was correct also yesterday, as some light wind windsurfing did happen at Hookipa. No chances today.
 
North Pacific pretty much does not have any wave generation for us today (other than that tiny W fetch from the typhoon south of Japan). The good news is that the predicted low is forming N of us and hopefully tomorrow that blue fetch will be stronger and oriented towards us. We shall see.
 
South Pacific has a fetch so big that it engulfs all the New Zealand. Unfortunately, that means that those islands will also block most of the energy, but we're still gonna get some scraps in a week.
 
Morning sky. Pretty heavy rain between Oahu and Kauai.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noticed on Dave Kalama's board that it has a forefin. Is that common?

Brian S said...

I wondered about the same thing???