Friday, April 16, 2021

Friday 4 16 21 morning call

I saw Kai Lenny out when I parked and I thought:"let me pull the camera out, I'm sure Kai will catch a wave while I get changed and ready to paddle out".


I was wrong, he caught two. The guy is relentlessly working on something (small wave game in this case).

Afternoon was spent on the south shore. Lovely as usual.

4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers

1.5ft @ 13s from 191° (SSW)
1.3ft @ 15s from 187° (S)
0.8ft @ 22s from 208° (SSW)

Lanai

2.2ft @ 14s from 193° (SSW)
0.9ft @ 13s from 191° (SSW)
0.9ft @ 10s from 200° (SSW)
0.5ft @ 22s from 224° (SW)

SSW energy holding nicely at the buoys while the first sign of a new long period SW starts showing up.
I put together the maps of Apr 10 through 13 to show the fetch in the Tasman Sea that generated it. It's a relatively small one so, despite the good start at the buoys, I wouldn't get too excited about it. You never know what you're gonna get from those swells though.


Check the Lahaina or Kihei webcams if interested, for size, conditions and consistency. Here's a 4.40am perfectly shaped head high gem, a clear 10. I've seen a couple more like that, actually. Consistency might be low, but shape and conditions are undoubtedly there. I've also seen flat spells in which the ocean looks like a lake. That's why I always urge you to check out the webcam on your own. And watch for as long as possible.


North shore
NW001
8.6ft @ 8s from 20° (NNE)

Waimea
5.5ft @ 9s from 355° (N)

Pauwela

2.7ft @ 10s from 342° (NNW)
2.7ft @ 11s from 339° (NNW)

Offshore buoys are showing the elevated short period northerly energy that was in the forecast. I personally won't get particularly excited about this one. I love north swells, but this is going to be short period and closely generated, hence a bit stormy. Today great help in cleaning up the shape will come from the lack of local wind. It should be one of those days in which only a sea breeze will pick up in the late morning.
Home guess for Hookipa based on the 4am Pauwela readings is chest to head high, but it's going to come up pretty quickly, so it might already be bigger than that.

Forecast and energy spectrum of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.



Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


No comments: