Friday, March 24, 2023

Friday 3 24 23 morning call

A rare image of me riding a 8.6 barracuda style board that I tested yesterday morning. Rare because I don't particularly like them. Sure they paddle fast and catch waves easy, but then it's like riding a longboard while foiling. They're designed for downinders and they do work for that. I had the feeling I could successfully take off unassisted if I use a big enough foil like in this case (Armstrong 1550). With the Foil Drive instead, I can take off any time I want with a footstrapped 5.0 and as small of a foil as I want. To each his own.
Photo by Dan Taylor.


Not that I don't like longboards, that's an image from the surf session I had afterwards (testing some webbed gloves). I caught a few and then went in to get rid of the gloves (they worked, but I hated wearing them) and to switch to a shortboard as the waves were big/good enough.

4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Lanai

  • 0.9ft
    , 12s, SSW 200º
  • 0.6ft
    , 15s, SW 220º

Small long period southerly energy at Lanai. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore
NW001

  • 7.4ft
    , 10s, NNW 345º
  • 3.9ft
    , 9s, NE 55º
  • 2.6ft
    , 4s, NW 325º

Mokapu

  • 3.5ft
    , 8s, ENE 70º
  • 1.5ft
    , 13s, NNE 30º

The NW swell I discussed yesterday finally peaked up at the NW buoys and it's showing a much higher number than the Surfline prediction calling for 2ft 12s locally. Hard to guess how much we're gonna get without the local buoys, but it should be more than 2 feet. Home guess for Hookipa is a bit of a shot in the dark (literally, seeing the time): head high to start the day and possibly building to head and a half at sunset. No wind in the first half of the morning.
Easterly windswell went down and the easterly exposures will be small today.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: