Sunday, July 30, 2023

Sunday 7 30 23 morning call

Four years ago I posted my attempt n.13 to SUP foiling donwinders. The board was a 5.8x28.5, the foil was a Gofoil Maliko 200 and both were definitely not designed for that. Two years later I did a bit better in my attempt n. 23. Better foil, but same board, so still very difficult.

Since then, now there's barracuda boards that help with the take-off. But because of my bad fingers (and because I like short boards better than long ones), I chose to go the Foil Drive way. The take off issue is completely eliminated and with a lot of practice, a couple of days ago I managed to do my first dry run: took off at the launch and foiled 14km all the way to the harbor with a 5ft board.

The other great advantage is that I can use a smaller foil that I would need EVEN if I had a barracuda board: more speed equals more fun.
Massive thanks to the Foil Drive crew for making such an excellent product (I have two in stock at Hi-Tech at the moment) and to JDFollowCam for capturing these two minutes of bliss.


Today is the day of the M2O race. Here you find the link to live tracking and race results. Wind is going to be lighter than usual (10 to 15 knots) in that channel today, foil choice will be key.

Kanaha yesterday, a mix of new and old school.

5am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Barbers

    • 1.1ft
      , 13s, S 175º
    • 0.4ft
      , 11s, S 185º

Lanai

    • 1.5ft
      , 12s, SSE 165º

    • 0.3ft
      , 22s, S 180º

Both buoys show some long period southerly energy. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore

Mokapu

    • 4.7ft
      , 5s, ENE 65º

Only easterly windswell on the north shore also today. Home guess for Hookipa is waist high and windy.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.

Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):

South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):

Morning sky.


No comments: