Friday, April 25, 2008

point of views

No wait... Maybe it should have been points of view, actually...

Anyway, this is some old footage that I finally found the time to edit. A little surprise appearance in the middle for the Hot Sails Maui fans. Enjoy.



Two words on the soundtrack.
My favorite band Porcupine Tree's leader/founder/soul Steve Wilson is one of the most prolific musicians alive. He has hundreds of parallel projects going on and has collaborated with literally thousands of other bands/musicians. Blackfield is just one of his side projects: a collaboration with israeli musician Aviv Geffen. So far they've published two cds, the first one (where the song of the video belongs) is imo the best and it's a masterpiece.
Lately, in fact, I had it in my car stereo and I was lazy enough to leave it there for like... a month! Every time I went surfing or sailing I had the last song that was playing in the car in my head and that felt really good.
Then one day I said: ok that's too much, I need to change.
I randomly picked two cds from the big collection at home.
First one was a Social Distortion one (how the hell did I get one?). Put it in... lasted three minutes.
Second one was a classic: U2's Joshua Tree. That one lasted 40 minutes (i.e. one complete listen) and then had to go.
I put Blackfield I back in and it's still happily spinning since...
It's one of those rare cds with not a single bad song.

No wind these days in Maui, but beautiful, glassy, epic waves out of 330 on the north shore. Epic surfing, loving it.
The wind is supposed to come back in the weekend. Then, next week, the forecasted solid south swell is totally confirmed: it's going to last all week with a peak on Wednesday.
Life is good.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow super cool boom mount. More of that please!

Anonymous said...

Nice one GP. I have to say you've turned me on to some great music since I've followed the blog...thanks.

and to the folks at Go Pro...I'm getting a cam because of this crazy italian so keep supporting him!

Anonymous said...

man i like your movies - you make it look so easy!

cammar said...

Thanks guys for the comments.

Sergei, that boom mount is quite a bitch... it doesn't allow you to jibe or tack (unless you're a contorsionist) and it requires flat water otherwise it gets too wobbly. Maybe one of these days I'll do it again...

WOW! This video as been seen already 2,178 times in 48 hours! That's either a youtube mistake or for some weird reason it attracted a lot of youtube viewers... maybe the title!
In comparison, the Hana bike ride video (that has been there longer) has been seen 191 times only...
Interesting...

Anonymous said...

GP,

nice video and beautiful song. However, I have to say that, for the poor guys like me who are about to break up with their girlfriend, the text is a little bit too sad....
So now I'm left thinking of my girl and not of having fun at the beach...
Well, thanks anyhow cammar....

PS. 1 Was the movie shot in front of Jeff's house. Man, who would not like to live there!
PS. 2 Not having a wide angle on that toy of yours really kills it in situations like this.

fswp said...

nice movie, having multiple mounts at the same time must be great

cammar said...

Anon,
girlfriends are way overrated... try to see the glass half full and think about all the positive things you'll get out of a break up. How about going back to be able to date the rest of the female world population?

PS. Some of it was in front of Jeff's house. He doesn't own the house, he's only the property manager there, but yes... it's a killer spot. Can't do the lowers sunset session though... I mean, you can if you derig, drive to lowers and rig, like all mortals...

Fswp, having multiple mounts is a pain the neck... but it's nothing compared to editing the related clips!

Anonymous said...

GP,

Thanks for cheering me up, your "cammar way". I'm really curious to have Sharon's opinion about your glass-half-full type of approach...;)

Wait a minute, Jeff does not own a multi-million dollar house by the ocean somewhere in maui?????

Man, you killing a myth! Not sure I want to believe that...

cammar said...

Anon,
I'm not killing a myth, I'm making it bigger.
In order to own a multi-million dollar house on the beach in Maui you need to be a very money oriented person.
Jeff is not such a person. He's more focused on having fun, making the best sails in the world and giving the best customer service.
He's not rich, but there's a lot of people that love/respect him.
Which, in my world too, is way better than being rich.

Anonymous said...

assolutamente meraviglioso,
essere con te sul surf
ascoltare quella musica meravigliosa


grazie di esserci!!!

il nano