Monday, May 18, 2015

5 18 15 morning call

Yesterday recap:
south shore was very fun for me. I was out at 6am at one of my favorite spots by myself for what I wanted to be SUP session n.5 without falling.
First 2 sessions I used big boards. Then I got bored and I switched to my 7.4x29.5. Then I got bored and I switched to my 6.6x29.5. That board is just perfect for the south shore, since it got very little rocker and a wide tail.
Tide was very low and when I was paddling for a one foot wave, since it was as glassy as it can, I could totally see the rocks on the bottom and the fact that I was moving backwards. By the time of the drop, the waves had grown to three feet.
On my first one I first had a speedy section to race and when I got on the shoulder I had the opportunity to crank one of those sliding cut backs I can pretty much do on demand on that board.
But because my body was used to longer boards, I moved the back foot way too far back and ended up putting it in the water right off the tail and did the splits with the front foot still stuck in the footstrap.
Would have been a fun gopro video from the nose of the board if I had one.
Photo below is from an offshore windy spot.



Well since I got the scab wet (and it was just fine after that), in the afternoon I went windsurfing and had a blast. My favorite conditions, light offshore.
After that I took some photos of the surfers and here are the best ones.



Morgan.



Buoys 6am.
NW
3.5ft @ 8s from 103° (ESE)
2.9ft @ 10s from 328° (NW

Waimea
2.7ft @ 7s from 39° (NE)
2.2ft @ 11s from 316° (NW)
1.7ft @ 9s from 334° (NNW)

Pauwela
4.7ft @ 8s from 76° (ENE)
1.9ft @ 11s from 345° (NNW)

Barbers
2.7ft @ 6s from 132° (SE)
2.4ft @ 9s from 168° (SSE)
1.2ft @ 14s from 201° (SSW)
 
1.2ft @ 11s from 281° (WNW)
 
 
Pauwela going steadily down, today the waves will be smaller. Tomorrow a new small NW swell should pick up throughout the day.
 


 
 Nice little fetches both NW and South.
 
 




MC2km at noon says wind, but the sky looks cloudy as I type, so unless it clears up, that should keep the wind speed down a notch.

No comments: