Tuesday, March 15, 2016

3 15 16 morning call

Sorry about the delay, here's the photos of Honolua from Sunday.

Too many to put a caption on all of them, but I do want to spend a couple of words on the wireless internet connection I somehow managed to setup after my session (timed to perfection from 7.30 to 9.30 to avoid crowd and big sets on the head).

I'm claiming the first live Napoli game ever watched on the cliff of Honolua bay in the history of humanity. Maybe one day I'll be remembered for it...


On my left I had this instead.

 








Here's a fat section of gopro shots. First one is west side resident Kenny with his stylish bottom turn.

This visiting Australian bloke was ripping. If you click on the photo, you can tell how much fun he was anticipating to have when he took off on this one.
 
That's the vision you have down the line when you catch one.






Oh yeah, I ended the day with a windsurfing session at Kanaha which I ranked extremely poor due to the strong wind. The more I surf, the less I like the choppy windsurfing sessions.

These are the much smoother conditions I'll try to stick to from now on when doing the windkooking thing. This was yesterday mid day on my way to Haiku to pick up my new KT board.


And here's the beauty.



Today should be a beautiful day of surfing due to the lovely lack of wind (blue area in the wind map below). Take advantage of it, since the clean conditions will only last one day.
At 5am Pauwela reads:
4.9ft @ 9s from 68° (ENE)
4.2ft @ 12s from 350° (N)
1.8ft @ 11s from 8° (N)
1.1ft @ 4s from 71° (ENE)
and that friendly size makes for an easy high crowd advisory call at Hookipa.

There's also a bit of a south energy as the last reading of the Lanai shows below:
1.9ft @ 9s from 179° (S)           
1.4ft @ 13s from 255° (WSW)
1.3ft @ 15s from 201° (SSW)

Lots to say on the wind map today. First a big and strong WNW fetch just setup east of Japan. That low is going to move towards the Aleutians and won't generate waves for many days, but its related swell is going to be a long period one (6f 16s) on Sunday.
The second low much closer to us is going to move in the direction of the arrow I put under the L, replaced by the high sitting to the west of it. That's gonna cause two things:
- continuous provisioning of short/medium period N swell from Thursday to Monday
- continuous flow of northerly wind which will make the conditions on the north shore quite poor. Fortunately there's spots that suffer the onshores less than others.


MC2km map at noon confirms the lack of wind for today.



 

No comments: