Saturday, August 11, 2018

Satruday 8 11 18 morning call

Another day of rest for me yesterday, even though I managed to teach another successful windfoiling lesson. Prior to that, I had the most painful massage ever, but it seemed to be so effective that this morning I might want to try how surfing feels.

This photo is from Jason Hall and it's from August 8th, just a regular south swell day before Hector hit.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
2.6ft @ 15s from 142° (SE)

SW
2.9ft @ 14s from 169° (SSE)

SE
2.6ft @ 14s from 154° (SSE)

Barbers
2.2ft @ 15s from 186° (S)

Lanai
3.2ft @ 17s from 177° (S)

Beautiful long period readings at the buoys. It still baffles me that the recorded period can be that different (14 to 17!), it might have to do with the algorithm Surfline uses to extrapolate the individual swell energy off the publicly available buoy data. Whatever it is, what counts is that the long period south swell predicted to peak today and last through Tuesday is here. Below is the collage of the maps of August 3, 4 and 5 that show the fetch that generated it.



The annual OLE longboard contest organized by Hi-Tech at Launiupoko is going to be blessed by awesome conditions all day. I'll report when I get there, but I'll call waist to shoulder from home.

North shore
Pauwela
4.4ft @ 9s from 4° (N)

The long lasting N swell continues, another day of out of season waves on the north shore. Solid head high at Hookipa is my guess.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows a very distant WSW fetch and the windswell one.


South shore has a couple of small S fetches. Indian Ocean continues to provide swell after swell instead.


Morning sky.

No comments: