Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tuesday 8 14 18 morning call

A shortboard session for me yesterday. No photos of the day, but I timely received an email from an unknown resort in Telo publicizing how well the waves of the island reacted to the extremely large swells that hit Indonesia latety. This appear to be the main spot.


The caption for this was:"Waves on the backside of islands that never broke were doing this".
That's where I would have surfed.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
2.4ft @ 12s from 134° (SE)

SW
2.4ft @ 12s from 144° (SE)

Barbers
1.6ft @ 12s from 189° (S)
0.8ft @ 16s from 203° (SSW)

Lanai
1.9ft @ 13s from 183° (S)
1ft @ 16s from 191° (SSW)

South swell down to 12s and minimal size (flat to knee with occasional waist high is my home guess), but the two local buoys record some low long period SSW energy. I went searching through the fetches maps and all I could find was a tiny red circle in the Tasman Sea on the 8th. I doubt there will be much noticeable from it in the water, but I'll sure report when I get there.
 

North shore
Pauwela
2.8ft @ 8s from 64° (ENE)
2.5ft @ 6s from 63° (ENE)
1.5ft @ 12s from 74° (ENE)
0.3ft @ 15s from 63° (ENE)
 
Very low local windswell (the one below 10s) at Pauwela, but a little more energy from Hurricane John. The waves at Hookipa are still going to be pretty small, imo.

Wind map at noon. Gonna be a hot one.


Just a weak windswell fetch in the North Pacific.


And a weak fetch in the Tasman Sea is all the South Pacific has to offer.


Morning sky.

No comments: