Monday, January 14, 2019

Monday 1 14 19 morning call

A shortboard and a SUP foiling session for me yesterday. Lots of photos of the day, but I'm going to start with one from the day before (January 12). Yuri Soledade at Jaws, photo by Fred Pompermayer. Judging by the light (and by the size!), that was probably the late afternoon.


This one instead is from yesterday. Joao Marco Maffini, photo by Nick Ricca.


Let's move to something more common-mortally, here's a frame grab from my shortboard session.


Getting slowly better at those take-offs with the lip breaking on your back. Strong arms and will seem to be the secret.


This is the best of the 11 waves I caught.


Since I got back, I've pretty much been constantly in the water (or at work). I was hence tired mid morning (but no jet lag whatsoever, despite the 11 hours time difference!) and I chose a mellow foiling session at the harbor. Here's Kane demonstrating that the shoulders are the part of the body that turns first, the rest will follow.


He's paddling an extremely thin board, got to ask him the volume. Gonna guess 20-22.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Barbers
3.6ft @ 9s from 183° (S)

That short period energy registered by Barbers might be the explanation of the knee to waist high waves in the Lahaina area I keep hearing about from my rental customers. I don't believe in wraps from the NW over there.

North shore
NW101
8.7ft @ 15s from 311° (NW)

Hanalei
9.2ft @ 15s from 322° (NW)

Waimea
7.7ft @ 14s from 310° (WNW)

Pauwela
8.1ft @ 15s from 322° (NW)
2ft @ 8s from 90° (E)

Day three of this beautiful swell and still plenty energy in the water. Hookipa looked doable (by me) at sunset, but I only looked a couple of minutes from the distance. I'll probably going to trust the buoy instead and go somewhere towards Kahului. 8f 15s a bit too big for my taste, but there will be people surfing. Conditions will be most likely excellent, due to the lack of wind. Judging by the readings at the other buoys, the size shouldn't come down too much during the day.

Wind map at noon shows the usual possible trades up at Hookipa...


...but look how calm is should still stay at 10am.

Morning sky.

No comments: