Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tuesday 1 22 19 morning call

A shortboard, a longboard, a SUP foiling and a windfoiling session for me yesterday. The first one was one of my lame attempts at surfing the 4 feet board I bought for prone foiling. It's like standing up on a body board, my body might just be too old and stiff for it, but I'm not giving it up just yet. Second one was to fix the frustration of the first one. Third one was a beauty.

I saw Paige and friends paddling out and ripping at Lanes and I had to join them. The best part was how turquoise the water progressively got on the inside. It was like foiling in an aquarium.


AK, aka Amazing Kane was cruising effortlessly from one break to another. Here's the coolest way to chat to a young lady in the lineup.


Now that he has the same foils, he's almost looking like the South African kid Nathan Van Nuuren that visited us last summer. The only reason I say almost, is because I'm afraid that you can never look as light as 145 pounds, when you have a bigger body frame and are 30 pounds heavier. Both of them own incredible technique though. This clip shows AK sharing waves with a friend of mine and I and then doing circles around us. I have another one that shows him foiling from Lanes to Mama's, but I'll post it another day. I told him: "brah, soon you're gonna be foiling to Kahului and back just to run your errands!"



Oh well, I took it... what do I do with it now? Discard it?! Not a chance.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
1.5ft @ 7s from 183° (S)
1.3ft @ 9s from 173° (S)
1.3ft @ 4s from 144° (SE)
1ft @ 12s from 223° (SW)

All those numbers unfortunately shouldn't equate to any significant swell and, with the easterly windswell on its way down, not even the much more receptive Ala Moana looks good. Don't waste your time driving to the south shore is my recommendation.
 
North shore
NW101
5.5ft @ 13s from 314° (NW)            
3.9ft @ 10s from 309° (WNW)
 
Hanalei
2.5ft @ 11s from 313° (NW)
2ft @ 14s from 322° (NW) 
 
Waimea
2.4ft @ 13s from 318° (NW) 
 
Pauwela
4ft @ 9s from 85° (E)
2.7ft @ 11s from 330° (NW)
2.5ft @ 5s from 67° (ENE)
1.8ft @ 15s from 330° (NW) 
 
Mediocre readings at the buoys. This might be a surprise for the ones reading other forecasts, but not for the ones reading the Surfline offshore swells one (link n. 11), which I report below. For today it was only indicating 3.7f 12s, and judging by the upstream buoys, we might not even get there.
Tomorrow is going to be a bit bigger (blue line), but the biggest day is Thursday (with the two days after that staying pretty solid). I will report from Hookipa before 7.30. It should be bigger than yesterday, but not by much. I'm gonna call it another transition day, with bigger sizes in the late afternoon, this time guaranteed by the 5.5f 13s from 314 reading at the NW buoy.
 
Wind map at noon. Should be calm (specially down the coast) until 10am.
 
The sequel of westerly fetches continues in the North Pacific.
Nothing from the South Pacific.
 
Morning sky.

No comments: