Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Wednesday 3 20 19 morning call

The funding campaign for the new Lahaina harbor webcam has raised $400. Thanks a lot and let's keep them coming. I'm gonna start my posts with an update like this until it reaches its goal of $2,000. Please use the campaign page and not the donate button on this blog (unless you mean to donate to the blog).

A prone foil session (more like another lame attempt to ride my too short for my skill 4 foot board) and a shortboard session for me yesterday. This is Honolua which was beautiful as usual on an easterly trades day. I didn't surf it, as I thought I was going to have more fun on an imperfect but uncrowded left than on a perfect but crowded right. I was correct, as I caught a bunch of waves by myself, but I ended up surfing too long and my shoulder this morning is in need of rest. Might take a few days by the look of it. That's why this morning's call is so late: I slept in.
Granger Larsen setting up the barrel.

Looks like one of the Roberson kids (but not 100% sure).

This was Lanes at sunset. Hookipa still had some size.

The windsurfing conditions at Hookipa were epic once again, I officially miss doing that. I got cortisone injections scheduled in a week, but I'll need my fingers to completely heal before I can get back into that. Might be a long time. Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
1.7ft @ 13s from 225° (SW)

If Lanai feels something, there might easily be something. Yesterday the Lahaina side looked like knee high. Today Ala Moana looks pretty small, but not flat.

North shore
NW001
7.4ft @ 17s from 306° (WNW)
3.2ft @ 11s from 332° (NNW)

Hanalei
5.4ft @ 12s from 335° (NNW)
2.8ft @ 20s from 311° (NW)

Waimea
4.6ft @ 13s from 325° (NW)
3.8ft @ 10s from 336° (NNW)
1.4ft @ 20s from 305° (WNW)
 
Pauwela
4.6ft @ 12s from 330° (NW)
3.2ft @ 9s from 350° (N)
0.6ft @ 22s from 319° (NW)
 
The big Monday swell is still tapering down and underneath it a new long period one (the fetch that was right behind it) is slowly picking up. Below is the graphs of the four reported buoys together with the Surfline forecast (not particularly easy to read today). From the observation of both (what's happening in the water and what the models think it's going to happen), I drew a red dotted line to show that the new swell will be barely noticeable until the afternoon. The later the better and it's pretty much only tomorrow when it's going to provide us with another run of relatively big waves (9ft 15s from 321). For today, enjoy the fun size wave still around and the glassy windless conditions that on the north shore should last until 11sh.
 
Wind map at noon.
 
Yet another strong NW fetch on the North Pacific conveyor belt.
 
Nothing from the south.
 
Morning sky.

No comments: