Monday, October 09, 2023

Monday 10 9 23 morning call

JDFollowCam filmed me winging on a wave and I'm going to use the clip to show a couple of things:
1) winging on waves is my least favorite of the four foiling disciplines I do. Earlier that morning, for example, I was SUP foiling on the same waves, with the difference of not having a wing in my hands and no head wind when going left. As a result, I was doing one 180 degrees cutback after the other and at much higher speed.
2) the thumbnail picture shows me using the side hook I have on my harness (I have two). Right hand only on the front handle and much less torsion in my body. My friend Jason showed me this years ago and since then I've never seen anyone else doing it. For me it's a bit shocking, as I find this technique very effective and I use it all the time, specially when riding waves and never switching my feet.

6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion. South shore
Barbers
          • 2.4ft
            , 13s, S 185º

Lanai
          • 1.4ft
            , 17s, SSW 200º
          • 1.2ft
            , 13s, S 180º
          • 1.3ft
            , 10s, S 185º
Mixed southerly energies at the buoys. Check the Kihei webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore

NW101

    • 3.1ft
      , 11s, WNW 295º

Hanalei

    • 1.9ft
      , 11s, NE 40º
    • 1.4ft
      , 8s, N 350º
    • 0.8ft
      , 13s, NW 305º

Waimea

    • 1.6ft
      , 10s, NE 35º
    • 1.3ft
      , 12s, NNW 335º
    • 1.6ft
      , 7s, N 5º

Pauwela

    • 3.1ft
      , 10s, NE 45º
    • 2.9ft
      , 6s, E 80º
    • 0.7ft
      , 13s, NNW 330º

A new very small WNW swell is in the water, but it won't be as noticeable as the 3ft 10s from 45 degrees that Pauwela shows. Home guess for Hookipa is chest high.

 Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):

South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):

Morning sky


No comments: