Monday, November 19, 2018

Monday 11 19 18 morning call

A shortboard, a prone foiling and a windfoiling session for me yesterday. First one was at Honolua, another successful surf guide (customer was stoked). After which, I took some photos of the pro girls in the water. The Honolua contest will be held Nov 25 to Dec 6th and they're going to have a massive NW swells and awesome conditions. Gonna be a great show.

Francky getting a shot of Coco Ho.

Shoulda shot that barrel instead!

Didn't get too many of Courtney Conlogue, but this coming down with the lip was dynamic.

Brother Luke setting up the barrel.

I didn't stay long, because I went to try a prone foil board that a west side friend was selling. The only thing the test told me is that I'm not good enough for it, but my friend gave me a good deal and I'm determined to learn to foil on a tiny board, so I bought it anyway. Here it is, next to a 5.9 Pyzel Phantom. The best thing is that it's so small (4 feet!) that it fit in my car without the need of taking anything out. The very uninteresting (but extremely slef-amusing for me!) list of my car's contest is at the very bottom of this post.


For three weeks, we're going to have the following 5 Pyzel boards available at Hi-Tech for a free 1 day demo. The one above is one of them, I got the 6.0 in my car for this morning's session.


And after all that, I even managed to pull off a windfoiling session before my afternoon work shift. Starting early helps maximize the time and fun in the water. Meanwhile, the windsurfers at Hookipa had some good waves to play with. Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.


5am significant buoy readings
North shore
NW001
1.4ft @ 17s from 338° (NNW)

Hanalei
3.7ft @ 10s from 350° (N)
3.7ft @ 7s from 65° (ENE)
3.1ft @ 11s from 354° (N)
2.9ft @ 8s from 50° (NE)

Waimea
4.2ft @ 11s from 356° (N)
3.7ft @ 7s from 20° (NNE)
2.7ft @ 9s from 345° (NNW)
 
Pauwela
4ft @ 8s from 27° (NNE)
3.5ft @ 7s from 44° (NE)
3.3ft @ 11s from 345° (NNW)
2.2ft @ 5s from 60° (ENE)
 
New long period NW swell on the rise, but only just at the NW buoys. By applying GP's rule of thumb for the travel time (16h @ 16s +/- 1h per 1s), 17s take 15h to get here and that means that for Maui that is a tomorrow's deal. Nothing major anyway, 3f 15s is Surfline's forecast.
As for today, the NNW swell is now down to 3.3f 11s and there's a bunch of other periods and directions in the water. The waves will reflect that, stay tuned for a beach report from Hookipa before 7am.

South shore
Barbers
1.1ft @ 12s from 196° (SSW)
0.8ft @ 16s from 199° (SSW)
 
Lanai
1.1ft @ 13s from 182° (S)
 
When I drove by mid morning yesterday, Launiupoko had occasional waist high waves and light onshore, while Thousand Peaks had knee high and perfect wind. It was so clean that I thought about stopping, but the call for the windfoiling was stronger.
Should be similar today.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific taking a momentary little break. Gonna look very wintery towards the middle of the week though. BIG waves next week.


That is the monster low that will make them. This is modeled to happen Saturday morning.


South Pacific doesn't offer much.


Morning sky.


As promised above, my Mazda 5 winter configuration is as follows:
- two SUP foiling boards on top (each with their own dedicated foil mast already installed). One is for SUP foiling the other for windfoiling. The last one can be also used as a regular SUP by taking the foil mast off, putting a piece of tape on the tuttle box and installing the four surfing fins.
- two SUP paddles
- three shortboards (5.7, 5.10 and 6.2). I also have two more at home (6.4 and 6.7), but put those in (yes, there's spare room!) only when I know I'm going to need them
- a prone foil board (4 feet) with its dedicated foil mast (not attached)
- 4 different size front foil wings and three different tails
- a 82L windsurf board (which in summer gets replaced by a 6.5 SUP for Thousand Peaks)
- two windsurf booms, two masts, three sails, two extensions and bases, one harness
- bunch of different leashes/fins
- a helmet for the SUP downwinders
- a 9.4 single fin nose rider
- a quiver of at least 20 different wetsuit pieces
- a tool box
No wonder I don't have a girlfriend.

No comments: