Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Tuesday 8 25 20 morning call

Another intense day of testing gear, I'm learning a lot.
This is a Facebook memory: in 2016 I planned a 3 days stop over in Melbourne on my way from Indonesia back to Maui, in order to visit a friend who lives in Torquay and to surf Bells Beach. That was a bad idea. I mean, the stopover was lovely, but surfing in 11C/52F water after Indo was a terrible mistake. Despite the massive amount of neoprene I had on me, I couldn't last more than 45 minutes and I got out of the water saying to myself: this is it, I'm done with cold water for good! I put a mental check mark next to Winky Pop in the list of spots I'd like to surf before I die, and deleted J-Bay at the same time.


Kai Lenny came out with this new episode of his 20@20 series.


4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
2.4ft @ 13s from 181° (S)
1.2ft @ 12s from 182° (S)

Lanai
2.5ft @ 12s from 176° (S)
2.4ft @ 14s from 178° (S)
0.4ft @ 20s from 187° (S)

Southerly energy still hanging in there, check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency. It's actually kind of pumping over there.



North shore
Pauwela
3.6ft @ 8s from 85° (E)
2.7ft @ 6s from 84° (E)
1.8ft @ 11s from 84° (E)

That sliver of 11s energy might come from the hurricane Genevieve, but it's so small it won't do much at all, so small waves at Hookipa, bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).

Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: