Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sunday 2 10 18 morning call

SUP foiling session for me yesterday. The conditions at the harbor were a 8 out of 10 in terms of fun.


The last three days have seen onshore wind and horrible surfing conditions on the north shore. Foiling totally saved them for me as I did:
- windfoiling
- SUP foiling downwind
- SUP foiling surfing

That's where the revolution of foiling really lies, imo: new spots, new conditions that otherwise wouldn't be particularly good for all the other disciplines that I do.
Below is the current lineup of foils available at Hi-Tech. We just received a couple of Starboard windsurfing foils (the carbon Race and the carbon GT). Massive masts and thin, fast wings. Not my favorite style, but those things look sick.


Below is a wave from yesterday. Not a huge fan of POV clips of foiling, but that's what I got. The riding is not particularly fluid as I'm trying to get used to the back footstrap that I just installed on my board (we sell very convenient stick-on inserts at Hi-Tech). Not liking it just yet, but I'm gonna stick to it for the whole month of February. After that, I'll know if I like it or not. No doubt about the front one, though. Straps preference is strictly personal.



4am significant buoy readings
South shore
No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecast calls for 0.5f 11s. I taught a lesson yesterday and there were some delightful knee high waves.

North shore
NW101
4.5ft @ 10s from 10° (N)
2.7ft @ 12s from 330° (NW)
 
Waimea
6.4ft @ 9s from 12° (NNE)
3.9ft @ 12s from 333° (NNW)
 
Pauwela
5.3ft @ 9s from 16° (NNE)
3.2ft @ 12s from 326° (NW)
2.8ft @ 11s from 347° (NNW)
 
New NW pulse is predicted for tomorrow, but plenty energy of mixed periods and directions on tap today. All the spots of the north shore will have some waves, hopefully clean if the wind chop died during the night. Expect a beach report from Hookipa before 7am.
 
Wind map at noon shows light onshores, but most of the morning should be calm.

North Pacific shows a couple of small WNW and NNW fetches.


South Pacific has a tiny Tasman Sea fetch.


Morning sky. There's a weak low very close to the islands that we have to thank for making the winds light and variable for the next few days.

No comments: