Friday, February 21, 2020

Friday 2 21 20 morning call

Thanks to blog readers Dave, Renewyourspirit and Lob for their donations.

The new computer arrived and the disk swap worked like a charm. Imagine you think a good old friend is dead and all of a sudden not only he's alive again, but he looks even younger! Now that I know it works, I'm gonna buy another one as backup and attempt to stay on Windows 7... until I die.

Not posting while in Maui felt like a pleasant vacation from the blog, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The main thing was not having the thought that I "needed" to do the morning call as early as possible. I seriously thought about quitting, but I've been shown the love and appreciation from many readers, and so I decided to keep doing it, but with no time constraints in my head. As a matter of fact, today I felt like sleeping in and here I am, posting at 8am.

Here's a few things that happened during the hiatus:
- well, I obviously kept having many water sessions of all kinds
- I had the opportunity to shake Dr Michael Greger's hand at a speech he gave in Kihei, and told him with teary eyes that he's my favorite human on the planet
- I bought a new tail wing for my Gofoil GL140 (just got it, can't wait to try it)
- but the most remarkable one was the purchase of a longboard style SUP board. Inspired by the incredible display of skill by the one and only Laird Hamilton in the video below (which made the top 5 favorite surfing videos list from the very first time I saw it), I always wanted to own a similar board and try to ride waves like that. Enjoy the show.


Here's the board, a beautiful 10x27.75 made by the French kite brand F-One.


Thanks to the lovely south swell we just had (even though it worked beautifully also at Kanaha), I had so much fun riding it, that I decided to permanently add it to the car quiver, which now consists of:
- three shortboards: 5.10, 6.2 and 6.8 respectively for small, medium and big waves (can't see the 5.10, as it's squeezed forward between the two others)
- an 8.6 high performance longboard (the one on the right)
- a 9.4 single fin nose rider longboard
- the 10 feet SUP (in the white sheet bag)
- 3 windsurf sails (2.8, 3.4 and 4.3), which I use mostly for winDfoiling
- 2 windsurf booms, 2 masts and 1 extension
- foils of all sizes
- a bucket with a ridiculous amount of wetsuit pieces
- 2 foil boards on top (for SUP foiling and winDfoiling)
- a paddle
- a beach chair (the most important item!)

Mine is probably the most gear stuffed Mazda 5 in the world, and yet I can still pull out any of the above mentioned pieces, without pulling out anything else first (and I can still recline the driver seat for the occasional nap!).


The problem was that with the 10 footer laying on top of everything, I could only partially see the passenger side rear view mirror. Problem fixed by buying a mirror extender that is originally designed to be mounted towards the outside to allow the driver to see beyond an eventual trailer. With a slight modification (two zip ties to prevent the straps from sliding over), I managed to mount it on top of the mirror instead.


The vision is full and clear.
Why bother carrying around all that gear (and leaving no room for other humans)?
I just like to have with me all the possible options with me all times (I'm fine with the windsurf board staying at home, most times I know in advance when the extremely rare windsurfing conditions that I like will happen).



4am significant buoy readings and discussion
South shore
Barbers has a reading of 0.5ft @ 18s from 191° (SSW) which might suggest the start of a very small and inconsistent south swell. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested.

North shore
Pauwela
7.5ft @ 9s from 85° (E)
4.8ft @ 6s from 73° (ENE)
3.4ft @ 13s from 335° (NNW)
 
A new moderate NW swell is predicted to start building tomorrow, today we have a declining NNW one and an elevated 9s easterly windswell. I'm sure you noticed it has been windy...
Hookipa will get both and be head high at least, eastern exposures might be even bigger, but with onshore wind.

Wind map at noon (the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


North Pacific has a small/weak NW fetch and a ENE windswell one.


South Pacific has a partially blocked fetch in the Tasman Sea and a much more promising S one (1ft 15s predicted by Surfline next weekend).


Morning sky.

No comments: