Friday, June 14, 2019

Friday 6 14 19 morning call

A bit of a foil centered intro to this morning call. For the first time in something like three months I had a short SUP foiling session (I tried to let my trigger fingers heal after cortisone injection, but they didn't). Here's my feedback: I didn't lose the foiling skills at all. They all come back immediately and I didn't fall for the first five waves. The only thing is that because of all the surfing I've done in the meantime, I was trying to do too snappy turns, but it didn't take me long to adjust to the more flowy lines of a foilboard.

Below are Kai Lenny and Austin Kalama (in that order) after exchanging gear a few days ago on the south shore. Photos by Tomoko.





This instead is a video of the foilers during the Olukai race. Might not seem too impressive if you're not a foiler and that is usually the case when a non foiler watches foiling. But as a foiler I know how much technique and fitness is needed to do that.


All that leads me to remind you of the Gofoil presentation of their new wings which will happen today at 6pm at Hi-Tech.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore
Barbers           
1.7ft @ 15s from 196° (SSW)
1.2ft @ 13s from 194° (SSW)
1ft @ 20s from 189° (S)

Lanai           
1.7ft @ 15s from 204° (SSW)
1.6ft @ 20s from 198° (SSW)

Wonderful numbers at the buoys. The 15s SSW swell comes from the fetch that first appeared in the Tasman Sea and that's what's been in the water for the last two days. The new 20s energy instead comes from the fetch once it crossed over New Zealand (see yesterday's collage of the maps).
The result is shown in this image of the Lahaina webcam below: a gorgeous head high set. Check it yourself before going, because obviously it's not constantly like that.


North shore
NW1010
2.7ft @ 12s from 313° (NW)

Hanalei
1.9ft @ 12s from 313° (NW)

Waimea
1.4ft @ 13s from 306° (WNW)

Pauwela
3.3ft @ 7s from 80° (E)
1.9ft @ 5s from 82° (E)
1.1ft @ 14s from 327° (NW)

New small NW bumps should be in the local waters today, but I wouldn't expect nothing bigger than the last one. Not yet, at least. Webcam looks pretty flat, actually.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has a small/weak NW fetch.


South Pacific has a fetch deep down in the Tasman Sea.


Morning sky.

No comments: