Thursday, October 08, 2009

that's a lovely fetch we got there, lads!

A bit narrow, but still lovely.


That's gonna send us some pretty big waves Sunday and Monday (as predicted on this blog 10 days in advance). The NOAA says that it will be double overhead, but still not high surf advisory (that's 15 feet faces for the north shore).
Really? What do they know that I don't know? Well, they have access to way more data than I do (like the quickscat surface wind speeds), but I bet that they will change their mind when the swell is going to hit the buoys...
Look how close the head of the fetch is to us. This swell is going to have a hell lot of energy you guys. Not particularly clean and with lots of waves in the sets and very consistent. So, be careful everyone.

BTW, I don't see any hint of the trade winds coming back in Maui for a looong while. Sunday is going to be light onshore (just enough to fuck up the surf) and eventually sailable in Kihei. And then it's going super light again.
Plenty waves though. Having dropped 99 bucks for a monthly unlimited yoga classes pass right at the beginning of a long glassy surf spell, wasn't probably a smart idea. I doubt that my body can take two surf and one yoga sessions a day (like today) for that long...
I don't even know if I can surf tomorrow!

Anyway, here's a couple of shots from yesterday.
A set hits Pavils.

Horrible drop in by the body boarder and beautiful wave screwed for the surfer. No, that's not the end of the world, but it sure doesn't feel good.

4 comments:

Chantelle said...

Awesome photo capture of waves...if you get a chance, you just have 2 ride one for me :)) Cool blog, glad I found it!! HAVE A SUPER WEEKEND....

Anonymous said...

How's your wrist injury coming along?

Anne

cammar said...

Thanks Chantelle, you too.

Much better Anne, thanks to the fact that there's no wind and I'm not sailing. At least the timing was good...

jeff E of the Great White North said...

look at the surfer , his face and hands kinda like saying "what gives Doood" looking down at what seems to be an oblivious boarder, HA ha thats funny