Thursday, April 07, 2011

Maui's been bombed!

...by the sugar company.

This lovely photo illustrates:
a) the beauty of a windless morning in a tropical paradise
b) human's way of ruining it.

Hawaii is one of the very few places on Earth were the sugar cane is still harvested by burning the field. That sucks, but I'm not gonna get into it... I'd rather talk about the amazing couple of days I just had.


Tuesday was a full on winter day. The NW buoy went up to 15 feet (!) and consequently we had some big waves to ride. Kanaha was glassy in the morning and perfect to test the first upgrade I installed on my SUP: 2 hours of surfing.
In the afternoon a gentle breeze picked up and it became perfect to test the second upgrade I installed on my SUP: 3 hours of sailing.
The full report about the SUP upgrades will come soon. Just give me the time to go through about a thousand gopro photos...

Wednesday the show went on again: 2 hours of surfing in the morning and 3 hours of sailing in the afternoon. Two differences though:
1) the wind was stronger and I sailed with my regular windsurf board
2) I was off and in between sessions instead of working I could go to Hookipa and take photos.
Here they are in chronological order.

Swift.


Boujmaa.


Ricardo.


Swift.


Albeau.



Boujmaa.


Koster.


Kauli.


Boujmaa.


Koster.


Swift.


Swift.


Voget.


Ricardo. This 360 was sick.


Elena.


Swift.


Boujmaa.


Mark.


Koster. Kinda close to the photographer, but the pros know what they're doing and the photographers trust them. They're way more scared when it's me on the wave... LOL.


Koster.


Kauli.


Looks like John Skye.


Mark. I don't think he was involved in any photoshoot, but how can you not shoot him?

Today I'm off again. Having a light schedule is my choice: I work as less as I can (that means I earn as little as I can survive with) and play as much as I can. No, I don't have an expensive car. Yes, I have a lot of boards.

Even though I'm pretty tired from all the action, this morning I went for a surf check anyway. I almost paddled out when I saw a bit of wind coming and decided to wait for the afternoon sailing. THANK GOD!
Why would I go surfing if I'm so tired? It's April 7th you guys... the glassy waves on the north shore are almost over... can't miss any opportunity!!!

Possessed to ride waves, that's what I am. Happily so.

PS. Since I skipped the surfing, I also found the time to finally do a laundry (and this post). With this photo I'd like to ask ALL Maui residents to consider drying their clothes by hanging them on wires instead of using polluting electrical dryers. Those clothes are going to be dry in less than an hour.
PPS. Haiku residents are excused for obvious reasons.



Last, but not least, MauiSurfReport would like to welcome back the sponsor OES Australia that just bought 3 months of banner (on the right). Thanks a lot.
Current prices for a banner: $50/month, or $45/month if you order 3 to 5 months upfront, or $40/month if you order 6 months or more upfront.
Current prices for a one line text link: $25/month or $20/month if you order 6 months or more upfront.

Thanks a lot also to all the readers. This is the graph of the traffic in the last 30 days. Well above 1,000 unique visitors a day. Thanks for reading!!!



Ok, one more thing: Sunday 17 Hookipa beach cleanup.

3 comments:

Weasels wake said...

Another awesome post, and it even included what is now the 'requisite' pic of Mark Angulo, upside down, over the wave, with him looking at the face of it.
I'll bet you could go thru your older posts and find at least a dozen (maybe more)versions of him in that same position.
Line them up, it could be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Me, being me, had to enlarge your washing line post - I'm impressed by the neatness of your hanging washing. Tee shirts together, mostly, and smalls tucked at the end of the line. Truth be told, I was more interested in the underwear but it's too far away to check it out!!!

Anne

cammar said...

WW, that is a good idea... too bad I know I'm never going to do that!

Anne, my luandry has changed a lot since I work in a shop where I'm supposed to wear a shirt. I also wear socks and tennis shoes (not because I'm requested, but because it's more confortable).
Before I started working there, my laundry consisted of pretty much just board shorts and MAYBE a couple of t-shirts. Now there's board shorts, a bunch of t-shirts and socks (the ones at the end of the line). Underwear is still something that is not needed here. Unless you like to wear them under the board shorts, like someone fancies...