Monday, August 05, 2019

Monday 8 5 19 morning call

Sorry for the late call, I had a massive day in the ocean yesterday (surfing, SUP foiling and winGfoiling) and my body needed extra rest. Also sorry for the wrong drone call on yesterday's Koa Smith footage, I got fooled by a hashtag that mention drones... it was a gopro Fusion instead.

This is Dave Kalama whose flawless foiling inspired my to get in the water and try to do the same.


This is another video of the wing foiling kids. This is the most exciting wind related new sport I've seen since I moved to Maui 18 years ago and that's why I did some myself (at Kanaha) on a borrowed HST wing. Lots of fun, but obviously not good for my trigger finger, if it wasn't for which, I'd probably own a quiver of wings already.



5am significant buoy readings and discussion
South shore
Barbers
2.7ft @ 9s from 173° (S)

1.4ft @ 12s from 175° (S)

1.3ft @ 15s from 188° (S)

Lanai            
2.2ft @ 9s from 165° (SSE)   
1.4ft @ 12s from 173° (S)            

1.3ft @ 15s from 187° (S)
 
Just like yesterday, we have long period distantly generated southerly energy and Erick's 9s leftovers. If you wait long enough, you can score one of former kind like this one below. Check the webcam yourself before going.
 
North shore
Mokapu
3.5ft @ 12s from 92° (E)

2.8ft @ 7s from 81° (E)

2.6ft @ 9s from 99° (E)

Hilo
6.8ft @ 10s from 98° (E)       

4.9ft @ 11s from 93° (E)
 
Mokapu's graph below indicates that the long period energy from Flossie peaked yesterday mid morning. Size still up at Hilo, but the period went down too. Maui will probably have something in the middle, so I'm gonna guess small waves at Hookipa and bigger on the eastern exposures. Wind is favorable at the moment (7am).


Wind map at noon... or should I say winG map at noon?


North Pacific has the windswell fetch reinforced by Flossie's wind now extremely close and that very remote west fetch.


The big/strong Tasman Sea fetch has now moved across New Zealand and is now aiming to our east, but we should get some angular spreading.


Morning sky shows a peculiarly cloud free storm. You can see the counter clockwise rotation of the winds, but clouds only in the red circle.

No comments: