Sunday, February 03, 2008

small ding fix + murky Hoo

Topic 1.
My board fixing carrer probably just reached its apex.

Before...


After...


Final touch: pad patchwork.





I can't believe it came out so good. Look at that rocker line! Well... that doesn't mean it's not gonna snap again on the first wave, but I'm stoked.
Ok, now I'd like to learn how to shape (and build) boards. Any shaper out there that needs help?

PS. Thanks to Amir of Ding King for the precious tips and to Keith Taboul for the sandwich foam.

Topic 2.
Huge amount of rain in last few days in Maui. Yesterday in particular (Saturday) it rained all day till around 3pm. Went to check Hookipa, Kuali and Nik Baker were out slogging through squalls in murky water. The waves were actually not too bad. Still shifty (is that an f or a t?) windswell, but when they got one right it looked like fun.
Here's Kauli.


Here's Nik.


Of the other three "normal" sailor that ventured out, one came in safe, one ended up at Lanes and one went on the rocks. That's because the wind was really up and down with the squalls until it finally died. In other words another quite bad day of a really bad winter so far. For the Maui standards, of course...

PS. Nice Irish story on the PWA site.

4 comments:

Lano said...

Sorry GP, that looks like it will snap in two first sail out! maybe make a cool retro short board out of the back section?

cammar said...

Lano,
that's very possible, we'll find out... I put two layers of 4 ounce fiberglass on top and 3 on the bottom, but I put a total of 6 on the rails and I hope that that's what's gonna hold it together...
Thought about the short board option too... but it's such a great board that I decided not to go for it.

Had a great sail today (floaty shortboard and 5.0) with only three other people out... I love superbowl sunday!

Anonymous said...

GP, looks good! looking forward to your follow up report on this board...

I found out about the board lady while on an aussie windsurfing forum... funny enough next session on the SUP and I now have a small crack on the rail :)

anyway here is her site full of good tips and examples... just in case lano is proved right...

http://www.boardlady.com/

my fav. example is the floweryhearbreak

h said...

i wanna know if it holds up, too