Sunday, November 08, 2009

Kazuma standup test + forecast

A few days ago I committed with the owner of the shop I work for to test his new Kazuma SUP board, since he wanted to order a few for the shop and wanted to know my opinion.


Finally I managed to go to the south shore and catch a few waves at Woody's with it. The board is 8.8 and 30 inches wide and it's quite easy for its size. The four fins give a nice grip in either steep sections or in the white water. It clearly doesn't glide much (too short and wide), but once on the wave it turns really nice. In other words, not quite a beginner board, but for sure a easy one for advanced not too heavy surfers.
Then I jumped on another Kazuma 9.2 by 27.5 inches wide and thinner rails. I liked it even better. On the wave it almost felt like a regular longboard... "well, at that point why not a regular longboard", a collegue commented. 'Zactly. For me SUP boards are too big and thanks to the stretching and yoga I've been doing, my back lately is allowing me to do plenty of regular surfing, so no need to give it a break with SUP...

What I now need (and I know I'm not alone) is a break from windsurfing! It's been windy and wavy for many days and it looks like there's no change in sight.
Actually the forecast looks really bad to me (depending on what you like, of course). A strong high pressure will setup north of the islands and the trades will be blowing hard. I don't see any major NW ground swell. Some wave models predict a big N swell on Thursday, but from the weather maps I check, I honestly can't see anything other than big windswell. Might get rainy too.

Not complaining, just informing. For sure it's going to be wavesailable. Seen the amount of pros at Hoo (the level in the water is unreal), I might need to give Uppers a try...

See ya!

9 comments:

Alex said...

I second your forecast view, after yesterday Sat. peak swell the extended looks kinda dismal for quality surf... though the relatively short period (10sec.) NE-NNE swell arriving later in the week might be picked up nicely by Ho'okipa Sandpiles and the Habor.

Mikey said...

GP,

What type of yoga do you do? Bikram?

Michael

Pavlos Parissis said...

....It's been windy and wavy for many days and it looks like there's no change in sight.

ooh man you are so spoiled :-)

cammar said...

Alex, IF that swells materializes... I don't see it on the weather maps I check, but several wave models show it, so I guess there's some incongruity in the mathematical models... we'll have to do the good old way: wake up, go to the beach and watch what's there...

Michael, I think it's called vinyasa, but I like to call it pussy yoga.
:)

Pavlos, very spoiled... and very sore!
Calimera, calispera, tessera, apotheke. That was all my greek!

Anonymous said...

No comment lately on your wrist - I take it you are fully recovered?

Anne

cammar said...

It's a lot better Anne, thanks for asking.

Bloody fantastic sunday sunset wavesailing session. Did I just say that I need a break from windsurfing? I take that back.

(Ben) Jamin Jones said...

GP - yes the sailing has been constant the last week or so, but today at least some of us took a break. I want to thank you for helping me solve the GoPro fogging issue. I mention this in my latest post - www.jaminjones.com

Joe Agliozzo said...

I like SUP over longboarding. I have a full quiver of longboards but I don't even use them anymore. I can ride the SUP the same or better than any of my longboards and I feel like a get more exercise from SUP'ing including core and calf work. Plus it's easier to get away from the pack on the SUP and do your own thing. Lastly, I just find that I like "the view" from up there (and I guess really last - it's warmer to be on an SUP here in California as the water starts cooling down!).

So now I find myself going back and forth between everyday 6-8 shortboard (if it's shoulder high or better or a weekend) to the SUP (everything smaller).

To each his own!

cammar said...

Absolutely!