Friday, February 05, 2016

2 5 16 morning call

Windsurfing afternoon session was way more fun than morning SUP session for me and that was due to the perfect slog and surf conditions at Hookipa.
I hit it kinda late and soon the surfers crowded the lineup, but I had 3-4 really clean waves and when it's like that, windsurfing - for me - is just as fun as surfing. Unfortunately I will have to limit the amount of time I put into that (and SUP) because of course, now that my ribs are getting better, a new trigger finger problem has arisen.

This is Kevin Pritchard in a photo by Jimmie Hepp taken earlier in the day. The waves dropped considerably later in the afternoon, as shown by the Pauwela buoy graph below.


The buoys show smaller numbers that we got used to, even though the NW one shows a slight increase in size that could be reflected locally in the late afternoon. But overall, with a 3am reading of 3.6ft @ 9s from 48° (NE) and 2.9ft @ 12s from 326° (NW) at Pauwela, you can expect a fairly small day. Should be clean though, thanks to light SE winds.



Wind map shows a solid NW fetch that unfortunately will get too close to the islands and bring us onshore wind and rough, messy waves Sunday and Monday.
If you think how many fetches/swells we've had so far, it's remarkable that we get hit by the active wind of them so rarely. Once again, 20.8° N, 156.3° W is the place to be.

The map also shows a fetch down south. Every time I circle a fetch down there, IF we get something out of it, it will be in 7-8 days.


MC2km map at noon shows the SE wind and the non sailable but very surfable conditions.
I also checked tomorrow's forecast and they give the onshores as early as 10am. I'll double check it tomorrow, since it's gonna be a much more reliable forecast.

No comments: