Sunday, June 28, 2020

Sunday 6 28 20 morning call

South swell was beautiful, but I don't have any photos, so here's Hookipa in this photo out of Jimmie Hepp's album of the windsurfing action of the day. Still some occasional head high ones on the second day of this out of season NW swell.


Gofoil posted an excellent video of a Maliko downwinder. Most of participants with the wing (Greg Drexler's Cloud wings look really good and I love his style too), and Dave Kalama with the paddle only.
Yesterday was my first wing session after my surgery and it went well, so I'm back on that game. Haven't bought one yet, at the moment I think I'll get either Jeff Henderson's Hot Wing (which I tried) or Greg's (which I haven't tried yet, but will).

In the meantime, I've done a few more SUP foiling downwinders. I'm now at attempt n.22 and the thing is still pretty damn hard. If it wasn't for Dave telling me it was the hardest thing he's ever learned, I might feel pretty discouraged by now. Instead I keep loving the challenges of the discipline, and having Kai Lenny fly by me while I was struggling to get up on the foil provided me with another motivational super charge.

That was the first time I went all the way to the harbor (from Kuau): it took my 2.5h of elapsed time, half of which spent sitting on the board and recovering from the few 1-2 minutes glides I had. Because of my poor open ocean bump reading technique, when I do take off, I still have to pump and paddle too often and I always come down physically exhausted (heart rate in the 130s, while my resting rate is 45!). The other half of the time was spent while standing in surfer stance, feet in the footstraps, paddle on the front side, patiently waiting for a slightly steeper mini drop appearing in front of me (sometimes that wait can be a long one!). I still miss half of the opportunities I deem worth paddling for, which is a lot better than 99% of them, like it used to be.
Might be time for a an update video.



3am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
2.7ft @ 17s from 188° (S)            

Lanai
2.5ft @ 17s from 189° (S)            

First pulse of this swell shows lovely 17s readings, it's going to be another beautiful day of surfing with good wind conditions for the whole Lahaina side in the morning. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency. Here's a 5.22am head high drainer.



North shore
Hanalei
2ft @ 9s from 332° (NNW)            

Waimea
1.8ft @ 9s from 321° (NW)            

Pauwela
3.5ft @ 8s from 80° (E)            
1.9ft @ 11s from 322° (NW)            
 
NW swell down to a couple of feet with the period soon to be 9s also in Maui. That, together with the easterly windswell, means very small waves at Hookipa.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: