Sunday, November 12, 2006

PWA Maui day 3

Light wind again.
I had another great working day being paid to hang out at the beach and wait for the conditions to improve. I surfed and sailed on the longboard pretty much all day.
Sharon showed up at sunset and took this little video.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Oh, let me add something about the mysterious board.
It's a 9.6 surfboard made of foam. It's like a beginner board, but the foam is a special kind that doesn't suck water at all. And it's pretty hard to be foam. It even has two 1 inch thick wooden stringers that make it remarkably strong!
I tried it surfing and I was pretty happy about it. The rails are quite soft and the tail tends to slide if the section is steep, but it's also because it still has a plastic small fin. I hope a good fin with a couple of small side fins will fix the problem. Or maybe I could go for a two fins solution, like Kauli's boards. Tomorrow I'll ask his opinion...
What really impressed me is the flotation. The density of the foam and the light weight makes it really floty. I could stand up on it in flat water. A bit wobbly, but not sinking. Can't do that on regular 9.6... like, not even remotely!
I'm going to put a mast box in that board and sail it on waves in light wind. Pretty much what I already do with my 12.6. But it's going to be a 9.6! And that means three feet less of board to turn!!
I'm really, really excited. I just can't wait!
I'm afraid I will have to build a little wooden box where to make the mast box sit, because the two stringers are like 4 inches apart.
So, this is a warning for Ulli. I'll need your help, man. Your tools and your knowledge will play a key role in this project. I can call the board Ulli, if you want...
Next weekend, brah... if there's no surf, of course!
Here's a shot of the board in action. Pretty much the first wave I caught... I can so see a sail on that board!


I like this board so much that I almost look like I'm having sex with it!
Ulli, I wouldn't let me call it Ulli if I were you...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, you should have asked if GP was old enough? My wife wants to know! Actually so did the girls in the office!

Lano

cammar said...

I'm gonna quote Levi here. "I'm very capable and old enough..."

A big kiss to all the girls in Lano's office... and to his wife too! I didn't know Australian girls had such good taste!

Anonymous said...

You make that sitting on the beach look like hard work! Will be interesting to see how the new board will behave with a sail on it.

Following the event (from my computer unfortunately) I noticed that last years runner up Sean Ordonez is nor competing. Any idea why? On a good day he should be able the pro's a tough time. Maybe you can get him in front of the cam?

Anonymous said...

hey! did uli really place 9th???

WOMEN OPEN:
1. Junko Nagoshi
2. Jennifer Henderson*
3. Motoko Sato
4. Tatiana Howard
5. Juliana Farias
5. Mami Nashida
5. Ivana Farias
5. Baur Gabriela*
9. Uli H??lzl
9. Shawna Cropas*
9. Paulina Pease*
9. Kristib Orth*
9. Ashley Baxter*
9. Chihagi Chiu*

Anonymous said...

hey dude,
Don't work to hard there.

That post had me literally laughing out loud.

So... what did the board get named?

- Josh

Sharon said...

Hey Lano: Trust me-he’s old enough! Sounds like GP’s official fan club "somewhere in Australia" - hysterical. The management is probably wondering why productions gone down and water cooler breaks up-only ‘we’ know it’s due to the Aloha Classic & PWA posts!

cammar said...

This is the best job I ever did by far...

Anyway, that Ulli in the results is actually a french lady...

The board doesn't have a name yet. I think I want to try it first, which may happen pretty soon, since Jeff told me that there's no need for a wooden box. So today I got everything I need and getting the fin box down is going to be my first thought tomorrow morning...
But you guys are welcome to post name suggestions...

Sha-sha-sharon... keep it down, ok?

cammar said...

Oh, I forgot the reply to Robin.

I agree with you and I'll ask Sean... if I can catch him outside of the water! He's always surfing and experimenting boards...
I always admired that. Can't be a good shaper if you're not in the water a lot. Wait, let me rephrase this. If you're not in the water a lot, maybe you can still be a good shaper (IF you used to be in the water a lot), but you can't be an innovative shaper.
Which is actually one of my few little dreams that hasn't come true yet. Getting there...

Anonymous said...

Fully agree on the shaping (shaper) thing. As for Sean, maybe you should get a waterproof housing for the cam in order to interview him ;o)

Sharon said...

The waterproof cammar cam with sound..it's only a matter of time!

Anonymous said...

I guess everybody will remember where they were when they saw the first 'waterproof' footage. ;o)

cammar said...

Excluding an interview while windsurfing for obvious reasons, I better pick a very inconsistent swell to interview him while surfing...