Friday, July 10, 2020

Friday 7 10 20 morning call

 Alessa Quizon posted this and I'm happy to share.


I didn't take any picture yesterday, mostly because of lack of time. It was in fact and intense day of action, I'm just going to mention that my first proper wing downwinder was mental. Literally. But physical too. And spiritual. The main factor was getting over the fear of flying so fast. Every time I managed to relax, I did much better. Fortunately I used a perfectly sized 3.0 How Wings Maui wing (thanks Jeff Henderson!) and my smallest GoFoil wings (GL120 and small pedestal tail), hence the ones that can handle the fastest speed, and it was an extremely intense experience out in the middle of a wild ocean.

I'm so going to get into this, I'm buying a 36 inch mast today. At the moment I still don't own a wing, but I'm going to buy one very soon. It might not be for everyone, but if you're willing to learn a new discipline and go through the beginner stages, get a foil, get a wing and get ready to embrace a brand new endeavor... it's totally worth it. What a summer this has been and what a summer it will continue to be!

4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
2ft @ 14s from 202° (SSW)

Lanai
1.9ft @ 14s from 197° (SSW)            

2ft 14s and I woke up early... good combo. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
4.7ft @ 8s from 79° (ENE)            

Small waves at Hookipa, bigger on eastern exposures. Head high very fast rollers out in the ocean.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: