Saturday, July 18, 2020

Saturday 7 18 20 morning call

Here's the video that didn't get uploaded yesterday. As I was saying, the GL120 is changing the way I SUP foil on waves. With bigger foils (first the Iwa, then the GL140) I was avoiding the steep sections. Now I'm searching for them, as that's where the 120 shines and keeps going. I see a lip breaking or feathering, I go straight to it, instead of aiming for the shoulder. I'm hence looking at the wave in a different way and I'm doing lines I would do on a surfboard. I feel like that the 120 is the perfect size for me, but I got a GL100 in the car to try and I can't wait to do that. It will probably be too small for most south shore days, but I want to see if I can make it work in some steep sections.

Btw, the mouth mount is not ideal for documenting foiling, one wave was with the camera on the neck edge of the of the wetsuit and it shows the board better. I got a friend working on a special mount for the gopro, stay tuned.


3am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
Lanai
1.6ft @ 17s from 199° (SSW)
1.4ft @ 12s from 193° (SSW)            

Decent numbers at the buoy, check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
3.5ft @ 9s from 69° (ENE)            

Small waves at Hookipa, bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

1 comment:

Ely said...

Hey GP,
You have your dates incorrect and the video did not post.