Monday, January 26, 2015

1 26 15 morning call

4am main swell buoy readings:

NW
6.2ft @ 12s from 296° (WNW)
3.5ft @ 10s from 303° (WNW)

Waimea
5.6ft @ 13s from 317° (NW)
3.9ft @ 10s from 325° (NW)

Pauwela (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's north shore)
6.7ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)
5.7ft @ 7s from 57° (ENE)

West lanai Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's south shore)
2.6ft @ 13s from 286° (WNW)
   
Nothing to report from yesterday on my side, other than I spent all day booking not one, but two trips to Indo for this summer (!!) and then I caught 8 waves in one hour at Paia bay to celebrate that.
I'm sure the west side was good and that's where I'm going this morning to continue the celebration (which, in my particular case, never really stop every single day of my life).
 
The buoys above are still up, I'm sure I'll find some clean waves over there.

As for the north shore, it's gonna be windy, choppy and mixed up with the windswell which is already significant at the Pauwela buoy.

The wind map below shows a good fetch and a bad one. You guys should be able to tell by now.

   
In the closeup below, I marked three wind directions:
1 is what we had yesterday
2 is what we have this morning
3 is what we're gonna have tomorrow
And that is because that whole circulation is moving east pushed by the approach of the next front.

Windsurfing could and should happen on the north shore this afternoon, but my guess is that Hookipa is not going to look particularly clean. I haven't even looked at it since 48 hours, and I live 1 minute drive from it. What's the point? I know how onshore 6-8 feet look like...

Tomorrow is going to be a relatively small day before the next swell will start to show up late in the afternoon. But Wednesday, Thursday, Friday is when it should be really good, before the wind will turn all the way around the clock and start the cycle all over again.
The weather in Hawaii is so consistent that's sometimes it's not particularly stimulating to try to predict it...



Have fun in the sun everyone!

PS. All the sources for this post are permanently linked in the links section on the right of this blog.

No comments: