Thursday, June 04, 2015

6 4 15 morning call

Ok, I won't call yesterday another fantastic day of surfing on the south shore because my early morning session wasn't fantastic like it has been for the past many days. It was just good though, with some gems like the one below.
And it's highly possible that it still was fantastic for someone. I just found it a lot slower than the previous days, due to an extreme low tide and a declining swell.




Buoys
Pauwela
4.8ft @ 8s from 86° (E)
2.6ft @ 6s from 73° (ENE)
1.2ft @ 14s from 82° (E)

Barbers
2.1ft @ 13s from 193° (SSW)

SE
3.2ft @ 13s from 144° (SE)

SW
1.9ft @ 15s from 156° (SSE)
1.8ft @ 13s from 164° (SSE)

Mostly windswell at the Pauwela buoy (Hookipa almost flat at sunset), but notice also that foot 14s from the hurricane swell. 82 it's not the best direction for Hookipa, but seen the relatively long period it is possible that some sporadic set will manage to wrap into Pavillions and The point.
Small though, also considering the reading of the Mokapu buoy in Oahu: 1.4ft @ 14s from 105° (ESE) . If that is the original direction, Hookipa might get very little energy from it.
Should be increasing the next few days though.

South detecting buoys are all going down and here's the graph of the Barbers Point one.
The south swell is the blue one while the black line is what you read if you go on the NOAA site. As you can see, a whole foot of difference. I call that deceiving and I'll keep check my buoys on Surfline instead.
2f 13s is still a fun size though, so I might have to go again this morning before work, also because I feel a bit of wind on the north shore.
A possible increase in size is forecasted for tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it at the buoys.



Talking about wind, here's the windguru prediction for the day. It shows some trades today.




Wind map shows a weak fetch NW of us (tail end of the storm that generated the weekend NW swell) and a decent one east of New Zealand. That usually means a small south swell in a week. For this one, I'm gonna guess a little more than that, since the wind is not very strong and the period will not be very high (slower travelling speed) and the tail of the fetch is well more south than usual (longer distance).

The Women WSL Fiji event went exactly as I predicted, so I feel motivated to try to do the same for the main event. Stay tuned for that.

No comments: