Thursday, November 12, 2015

11 12 15 morning call

 
I'd like to start this call by commentating on a surfing etiquette thing that has been circulating on Facebook and that I consider completely wrong, at least the part that states "locals always have priority". That's a brilliant way of encouraging the very shameful behavior called localism.
It's a form a racism, if you think about it.

Where you are from and/or where you grew up and/or how long you have lived in a place has nothing to do with the real surfing etiquette rules, which are instead summarized in the photo below.
I lived in Maui for 14 years and I have the same right to catch a wave as someone who was born here and as someone that has just got off the plane and is visiting Maui for the very first time.
As long as I make sure I have waited enough compared to the other ones in the lineup and that I'm the closest to the peak.





The windsurfing contest is over, but the windsurfers are still enjoying the strong wind and the related windswell. This is Diony Guadagnino in a photo by Jimmie Hepp.



Buoys 6am
Waimea
3.9ft @ 9s from 37° (NE)
3.3ft @ 8s from 37° (NE)
2.3ft @ 5s from 35° (NE)
1.2ft @ 15s from 340° (NNW)

Pauwela
8.3ft @ 9s from 64° (ENE)
3.2ft @ 6s from 59° (ENE)

Barbers
2.8ft @ 7s from 144° (SE)
2.6ft @ 9s from 151° (SSE)
2.2ft @ 14s from 188° (S)

I put the Waimea readings because they're the only ones that show some energy other than the windswell one. It's a small NNW reading and I really don't think it will be enough to get the Haleiwa contest (first one of the Triple Crown) under way. But find out yourself here, the call should be made at 7.30.

I love how this year's WSL world title race has panned out and I can't wait to watch Pipeline and see how it ends up. I put my money on Medina a few months ago when he was way back in the rankings and now he's got a chance if he wins the contest and Fanning doesn't make the semis.

Anyway, back to Haleiwa, other than a couple of small swells tomorrow and in the weekend, they got absolutely nothing until Wednesday the 18th when a 6f 14s NW swell should hit and there should be waves until the end of the waiting period. We haven't seen the fetch for it of course, so I can't comment on that yet.
BTW, I just noticed that all the three brasilians with world title ambitions are doing the Haleiwa contest (and I'm guessing the Sunset beach too), and that seems an unnecessary risk to me.
I would do like Fanning and just wait for Pipe.

Here in Maui it's still all about the windswell and the wind, which will be very strong again as the MC2km noon map shows below.



Wind map shows the last bit of that NW fetch that generated the small swell that should arrive tomorrow and the weekend, the trades windswell one and a fairly weak south one east of New Zealand. I think this last one moved north in the direction of the swell it's generating and this situation is called captured fetch. It usually creates big swells, since the wind will be following the waves it's creating and keep building the seas, but in this case, the wind is lacking a bit of strength to really make a big swell. As a matter of fact, Surfline is only calling for 1f 15s in 7 days.

No comments: