Thursday, October 06, 2016

10 6 16 morning call

3 sessions days are always good days, specially if you add more pleasant activities to them, like a massage and a nap.

Best session was the early morning surf. I had a surf guide customer and we had a blast, thanks to the lines provided by that small 2f 11s NW pulse, which I admit I underestimated a bit. Here he catches a nice left.


Here he's got a sweet section on a right.


The windsurfing wasn't too much fun because of the gusty wind, rigging a 4.0 was a good idea.
Here is mad Frenchman Manu on a slightly overhead one.
A quick note on my beach report calls: the size I call is the size of the average waves. If I say shoulder high, it's obvious that there will be bigger (and smaller) ones.
Also, I'm liking the ranking, since it's stimulating discussions in the water.

Yesterday, for example, a friend on mine read it at home and then came surfing and after catching a good one he said to me:"hey, this is at least a 5, not a 4!".
"actually, that wave you just caught was a 6, but the average is still 4".
So once again, I call the average conditions and size, not the peaks of them. And I like to be slightly on the conservative side.

Also, my conditions ranking has nothing to do with the fun you can potentially have in your session. That depends on many other factors (like crowd, vibe in the lineup, luck, etc...). Yesterday was a good example of that. The fun factor was much higher for me and my customer, but the conditions were still a 4. In my opinion, of course.


Sunset surf was pretty bad because of the still strong wind, but the sunset was killer.


Significant buoy readings 4am
Lanai
1.8ft @ 15s from 189° (S)
1ft @ 12s from 201° (SSW)
0.9ft @ 13s from 200° (SSW)
0.7ft @ 10s from 239° (WSW)
Nice mix of periods at the Lanai buoy, the most significant reading being 1.8f 15s. Worth a look at the webcam, for sure. Which I did and saw a nice shoulder high set. But it was only one in 10 minutes, and pretty tiny for the rest of the time.

NW
1.7ft @ 12s from 316° (NW)

Pauwela
4.4ft @ 8s from 76° (ENE)
Just a bit of NW energy leftover at the NW buoy, but nothing at the Waimea and Pauwela ones, so today is going to be mostly small windswell on Maui's north shore, with the occasional small leftover fading sets out of the NW.

I hope it's clear that today it's going to be small everywhere.

Current wind map shows:
- a well oriented NW fetch (weaker than yesterday though)
- a more westerly fetch associated with former tropical cyclone Chaba. These two fetches are going to join into one wide one for a whole week of waves starting Saturday. Actually two weeks, if you look at the long term Surfline forecast, but let's not get too much ahead of us
- a nice Tasman sea fetch. Only 1.3f 16s called by Surfline for Thursday the 13th. I'm thinking (and hoping) a bit more than that.
\

MC2km map (updated, yahoo!) at noon shows some easterly wind. Gonna be gusty again.

Last but not least, a good old school weather map. Windity and earth.nullschool.net are cool visualizations of the winds, but I'm still sensitive to the appeal of isobars. That thing is a beauty.

No comments: