Sunday, November 13, 2016

11 13 16 morning call

Surf and windsurf (pure slog and surf) sessions for me yesterday, both excellent.

The waves at Hookipa were a little too big for my tastes, these photos were taken from this gallery by Jimmie Hepp.

This is John Gangini ripping as usual.


Thanks to the brilliant picture above, I'm gonna take the opportunity to clarify a statement that understandably has not been received well by some of the readers.
Here's what I wrote on the 11 7 16 morning call, pointing out that another middle age Hookipa good surfer (my friend Greg) was now riding the 7.0 Jimmy Lewis Destroyer: "Those are great boards, but I refuse to get one. I'm not that old yet. Maybe one day."

First: I have absolutely no judgement for that board or anyone who rides that board. As I wrote, those are great boards and I strongly recommend them if you want something that paddles easy, with a mini longboard feel, but yet pretty loose. I sold one to a dear friend of mine just two days ago. We have them in the rental fleet at Hi-Tech, you should come try them if you're thinking about getting one.

The fact that I've seen many middle age good Hookipa surfers riding one, made me do the wrong assumption that they were getting it because when you get older, you either get weaker or have less time to surf because you have family or work duties or have less stamina overall. In which case, an easy paddling board helps.
Instead, I have no idea why each single individual got that board, I guess in the end because they just have fun with it!

Despite the fact that I am a middle age surfer too, if you ask me what was the day that I paddled the strongest in my 15 years old surfing carrier, I will answer:"yesterday!". Plus I have no family and surf each single day, if not multiple times a day. And, most importantly, in my mind I still want to surf like Taj Burrow. I can guarantee you that I will never do that, but I sure have fun trying! And you can't surf like Taj with a 7.0 funboard. That's why I'm not ready for it yet.

So it's also a matter of personal preference, my mistake was to make the reference only to the age (which is one of the factors). I'm sorry if anyone got offended, it was not my intention. I just have a knack for not being "politically correct"... :)

Photographer OneMoreFoto catching OneMoreWave.


5am significant buoy readings
NW
4.5ft @ 12s from 333° (NNW)

Pauwela
4.1ft @ 13s from 325° (NW)
2.8ft @ 11s from 336° (NNW)
2.5ft @ 9s from 354° (N)

Sorry about the lack of Hookipa beach reports lately, it was either too big or I chose to surf somewhere else and left in the dark. At 4f 13s instead, I'm gonna be all over it, so expect a report soon. No sign of tomorrow's big swell at the NW buoy, so we won't see nothing of it today in Maui.
The Haleiwa contest started yesterday and it was fun to watch. They'll probably gonna take a break today and eventually resume tomorrow, if it's not too big.

Current wind map shows once again a strong NW fetch starting to become NNW. Surfline forecasts the swell to be 10f 15s from around 325 pretty much all day tomorrow. Maybe not that big in the early morning, but we'll know that in tomorrow's morning call by reading what's at the buoys.


NAM3km map at noon shows plenty wind for the final day of the Aloha Classic. Amateurs and Masters will be the most likely categories to be run. Not sure what they're going to do with the three remaining heats of the Pro's, involving Kai Lenny, Levi Siver, Browzinho and Kevin Pritchard.
Not sure if Kai will be there at all, since he is supposed to fly to Fiji for the ISA SUP Championships.


In the meantime (I'm taking it easy this morning), the MC2km updated map at noon became available and now that I see it, I'm not sure anymore if the windsurfing contest will actually run. With that light wind and the friendly size of the waves and the fact that it's Sunday, the 10 man rule might be in place all day. We'll see.


Much stronger wind in the 4pm map. I'm curious to see if it's a model glitch or it's really going to be like that.


And since I was talking about the amazing Kai (we're gonna run out of adjectives soon), let me finish with a shocking video filmed by PoorBoyzProduction.
He posted:"After the World Surf League #PeahiChallenge finished up yesterday I decided to go back out at Peahi for one last session.
The contrast between paddling and towing are so different but so epic in their own ways. I enjoy both equally!
"
Remember when I asked him if he still enjoys sessions at knee high Thousand Peaks? His eyes opened a little wider and he asserted:"I LOVE knee high Thousand Peaks!"

No comments: