Tuesday, November 29, 2016

11 29 16 morning call

Yesterday I surfed Lahaina in the morning (waves were tiny, but clean and I didn't even wear a wetsuit to enjoy the lack of wind and the sunshine on my skin) and sailed Hookipa in the afternoon.

This pic by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery shows the strong and gusty conditions. It got a lot lighter later on (that's why I went out), but it was still gusty.


I took some pics myself after my session and I was glad to catch Glen's last wave of his stay. Till next time!


There were some seriously good surfers out there. This is Imai De Vault.


But I missed to get an action shot of Felipe Toledo! Well, shaking the car to make the little surfer hanging by the rear view mirror do crazy aerials is still some kind of action...
10 for the seat covers, btw.


I couldn't pass the opportunity to ask a few questions to the fastest surfer on the planet. Here's the little interview.


And this is our friend Tijolo showing one of the boards of the old school session.


5am significant buoy readings

South shore

Lanai
1.9ft @ 14s from 221° (SW)

Barbers
2.9ft @ 14s from 202° (SSW)
 
SSW swell went down to 14 seconds but up to almost 3 feet at Barbers. Check the webcam for indication of size, consistency and wind.
 
North shore
NW
5.8ft @ 12s from 318° (NW)

Hanalei
4.6ft @ 13s from 318° (NW)

Pauwela
5.6ft @ 11s from 88° (E)
4.6ft @ 6s from 69° (ENE)
4.6ft @ 9s from 78° (ENE)
2.5ft @ 15s from 341° (NNW)

Wow, the NW swell is reading almost 6f at the NW buoy and almost 5 at the Hanalei one, but only 2.5f at the Pauwela one (and from a completely different direction). Why is that? I have no idea!
It is what it is and I would recommend to check the buoy page again later to see if that was just a glitch. FYI, At 4am there was actually no NW energy reported at Pauwela.
Windswell starting to come down in size and becoming more east (should be a lot less of it at Hookipa).
Anyway, whatever is in the water from the NW, should stay pretty steady throughout today.


Current wind map shows the strong but distant NW fetch that is making the Friday/Saturday swell. It's not in a good position for Honolua and that won't change in the next few days. This year, they weren't lucky. There's also a small windswell fetch and a weak one down under.


NAM3km map at noon shows moderate trades that might easily become strong if sunny. It's actually always more than what it shows for Hookipa (17 knots today and around 20 the past few days).


I'm soon gonna do a richer post about the new exciting evolution of downwind runs on foils. In the meantime, check out this video that Kai Lenny put out yesterday.
I don't know about you, but I watch it and think to myself:"I wonna do that!".
It's been almost 13 years since I learned a new sport (last one was SUP surfing back in early 2004) and I'm excited at the idea. Training starts this morning.

1 comment:

Garrett said...

Looking forward to the video of GP bouncing up and down frantically on a foil board without going anywhere. :D