Monday, March 20, 2017

Monday 3 20 17 morning call

I need to apologize about the "not so detailed" Hookipa reports of the last 3 days. Because of the wind, I a priori decided to surf somewhere else. But in order to give you guys some information, I did drive towards it and turned around at Holomua Rd just before the Lanes lookout. The report I posted were from the observation from there, without waiting for a set. Obviously such reports are less detailed and precise and I'm wondering if I should not do them at all. Next time I'll try to specify that they are made "from far", how's that?

Surf (south shore still really nice in the early morning) and windsurf (horribly choppy) were my two sessions yesterday. I don't have an action shot, so he's the son of a friend of mine after one week of surfing with coach Joao Marco Maffini. I wonder if those Maui kids are conscious of how lucky they are to grow up in this place doing things like that. If I was a parent, I would make sure that my kids would know and appreciate. Anyway, Koa Fabbio makes the blog for the first time at age 5 and I got the feeling it might not be his last time.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
3.6ft @ 17s from 273° (W)

The westerly wrap hits the Lanai buoy and everything else disappear from the water? No, just from the readings. There might still be some southerly energy and that is confirmed by the energy spectrum diagram below. The westerly one is much stronger, but the blue area circled in red indicates some smaller southerly one. So, it's not even that the buoy didn't record it, it's more than the Surfline algorithm to extrapolate and show the data on their fabulous buoy page (link n.11) decided it's too small to deserve a reading. That's why you should always check the webcams if you can.

Back to the westerly reading, there will be waves in Kihei for sure.


North shore
NW101
6.6ft @ 12s from 344° (NNW)

NW001
7.3ft @ 14s from 300° (WNW)

Hanalei
6.4ft @ 15s from 283° (WNW)

Waimea
5.8ft @ 14s from 312° (NW)

Pauwela
3.4ft @ 14s from 326° (NW)
2.4ft @ 10s from 24° (NNE)
1.9ft @ 7s from 33° (NE)
1.6ft @ 5s from 43° (NE)

I believe the direction at the NW101 buoy is quite wrong and confusing. It was 290 at the 3am reading. That's why I reported the NW001 also and today's collage below is made by: Hanalei, Lanai and Pauwela. Please notice how the direction at the first one went much more west in the interval that I highlighted with red arrows: 4pm yesterday to 4am today. And how the Lanai buoy reading increased in size consequently, while the Pauwela one didn't (if anything, it should have decreased). What's hitting Lanai is wrapping around the southern parts of the islands, while what's hitting Pauwela is wrapping around the norther parts. This should be much more clear if you have a look at the post Buoys to Maui travelling time and shadowing angles.

At the same time, Waimea doesn't seem to suffer much from the westerly angle and shows a healthy 6f 14s. With such a complicated scenario (made even more complicated by the shorter period 2.4f 10s and much more consistent energy from the NNE still in the Maui waters), I don't feel like making any guess for the size at Hookipa and I'll leave that to the beach report (today from the lookout, I promise). Whatever it will be, it should hold pretty steady all day.


MC2km maps not updated yet at the time of this call, check them out later. In the meantime, here's the 10 days Windguru table that, as far as wave sailing goes, it's a 9. There's only a few times in which the direction goes beyond 90, otherwise it would be a 10. Late March and April are brands photoshoot times and the timing this year is impeccable. I've seen some pro's in town already like Alex Mussolini who came to the shop to rent some gear for a couple of friends of his.
Today should be a nice trades day and the Hookipa iWindsurf sensor read 7mph from E at 5.20am.


Sat pic shows some clouds.


Current wind map shows:
1) weaker than yesterday WNW fetch. This was the one that generated the next WNW swell that is predicted to hit Wednesday/Thursday and reach 5.5 14s according to Surfline. I put an arrow to show the low coming off southern Japan that will be the source of the next swell which instead is forecasted to reach 10f 16s on Sunday
2) tiny NE fetch

No comments: