Friday, January 05, 2018

Friday 1 5 18 morning call

Yesterday I had a 2.5 hours SUP foiling session and an half hour windsurfing one. That should tell you what I liked better. Does that mean I always like SUP foiling more than windsurfing? Not at all. I like everything I do, it depends on the conditions. Which were so unattractive to me that I actually went out sailing only because I saw Jimmie Hepp setting up and I hadn't got a shot from him in a long time.

Jimmie did his job, I didn't (my sailing sucked). Nonetheless, I picked this one from this gallery, to silence the argument "I like putting my board on the rail!" that some non foilers (me included before I started, I confess) use against foiling. Plenty rail action there, but I still didn't have much fun at all because of the extremely gusty wind.


The other reason I picked that photo is that a friend with a fervid imagination saw some similarities to this other one that he posted in the comments. This is Hi-Tech founder Craig Maisonville back in the days sailing without a harness and most definitely putting it on the rail.


5-6am significant buoy readings
South shore

No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecasts calls for 0.7f 12s.

North shore
NW101
2.3ft @ 11s from 258° (WSW)

Waimea
1.8ft @ 11s from 317° (NW)
1.7ft @ 13s from 296° (WNW)

Pauwela
5.4ft @ 6s from 66° (ENE)
2.8ft @ 12s from 327° (NW)

Marginal numbers at the buoys, today the waves are going to be small as described in the 6.30am beach report from Hookipa which I did before this call. It looked waist to chest high, maybe occasionally bigger, and it was quite windy already. That energy should slowly decline all day and tomorrow morning might be a seasonal low as the long period sets of a very west swell will slowly try to build. Big shadow from the upstream islands, so not much to be expected on Saturday, before the swell peaks on Sunday.

Wind map at noon shows easterly trades.


North Pacific has a wide NW fetch and a small windswell one. Once again, I'm going to point out also today that the fetch will generate a swell with directions from 290 to 330. You can see that from the big rays map on the right.


South Pacific has a fetch in the Tasman Sea, but unfortunately the stronger part will get blocked by the north island of New Zealand.


Morning sky.

No comments: