Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Wednesday 2 7 18 morning call

Longboard and windfoiling sessions for me yesterday. This is a photo by David Parias documenting the first one.


This is Jason Hall foiling at the same spot. Photo by Tomoko.


These are a few shots I took after my sessions, testing the limit of the zoom/focus of the new camera. The waves were really fun.







This is a photo by Ted Bretter documenting my windfoiling session. The wind was too light to foil on the way out, but once on the reef, I would catch a little wave and follow the bump foiling all the way to the beach. I was completely alone out there, as the conditions weren't good for any other ocean activity. That's the beauty of foiling for me.


This video with Dave and Austin Kalama talking about the new foiling movement just came out (41 views when I watched it yesterday). What he says about the excitement is true: I bought my first foil because of how stoked he was after a session at the harbor. I just trusted the fact that if a guy like him was so excited about something, that something was worth a try. I was right.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore

No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecast calls for 0.8f 11s.

North shore
NW101
4.6ft @ 10s from 315° (NW)

Waimea
3.7ft @ 8s from 354° (N)
3.5ft @ 11s from 317° (NW)

Pauwela
3.8ft @ 10s from 358° (N)
3.4ft @ 11s from 334° (NNW)
2.1ft @ 6s from 81° (E)

Still some energy in the water from this long lasting swell. Stay tuned for a beach report from Hookipa for size and conditions.

Wind map at noon shows a light kona flow.


North Pacific has a nicely positioned NW fetch. Related swell predicted to peak at 8f 14s Friday night.


South Pacific shows a very distant small fetch.


Morning sky.

1 comment:

Brian S said...

Thanks for sharing the Kalama video. "Learning is fun. Improving is fun." So true.