Tuesday, December 16, 2014

12 16 14 morning call

4am main swell buoy readings:

Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's north shore)
7.5ft @ 8s from 48° (NE)           
6.2ft @ 12s from 341° (NNW)
2.2ft @ 4s from 68° (ENE)

West lanai Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's south shore)
2.4ft @ 13s from 291° (WNW)
1.2ft @ 9s from 208° (SSW)
0.8ft @ 3s from 190° (S)
 
0.8ft @ 4s from 176° (S)


Yesterday's call was good.
Both the south facing shores and the west side offered very fun conditions.
Today both S and NNW swells are a tad smaller, but seen the blustery winds on the north shore, if you want to surf clean waves, that's your only option.

That's how good the waves at Honolua looked yesterday (this is the only shot I quickly took after my session).


         
 
The Maui buoy reads 6.2ft @ 12s from 341°, but with a 7.5ft @ 8s from 48° (NE)  windswell on top of it and the active trades as well, you can imagine that the waves won't be particularly clean at Hookipa.
Nonetheless, this morning I work at 9 and don't have time to go west and back, so I'll probably challenge it anyway. I'm going to go from perfect waves like the one above (yesterday I had my best right ever, btw) to a messy rough ocean. Doesn't matter. Gonna be uncrowded, gonna be challenging, gonna be a good workout anyway... surfing is always fun. So expect a Hookipa report soon.

I usually focus on the call for the day, but since this whole week is going to be horribly windy, I do take pleasure to publish the weather map forecasted for Dec. 23, because it shows a low that is modeled to develop just north of the islands.
That will possibly bring rain and some nasty weather, but I personally look forward to the change.
 
Have fun in the sun everyone!

No comments: