Sunday, September 25, 2016

9 25 16 morning call

Morning session at Hookipa was - as I wrote in the beach update - not the most thrilling.

Here's Fabrizio (who's from my same home town) showing a stylish bottom turn before going back home to watch a Napoli game.


Later on the windsurfers took over. This is the biggest wave out of this gallery by Jimmie Hepp. Must have been the wave of the day, since the other ones looked a lot smaller.


I had a morning shift at work and in between helping customers choosing the perfect rental board for their ability/preferences, I checked the Lahaina webcam several times and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Still head high sets at the harbor, as glassy as it gets all morning, what a swell this has been.

I drove there in the late afternoon and scored an uncrowded session at one of my favorite breaks. I was first by myself (which I always love, specially there) and the later I was joined by west side shaper Josh Weinsfield. We trades waves, we trades boards and we admired the spectacular sunset go off.

Josh was really impressed by my board. I got it on craigslist and that thing has made surfing the small south shore waves even more fun! Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Lil Rascal by Proctor surfboards. Mine is a 5.7 and it's not for sale.


Significant buoy readings 7am
Waimea
1.6ft @ 11s from 331° (NNW)

Pauwela
2.2ft @ 11s from 347° (NNW)
3.8ft @ 8s from 67° (ENE)
NW swell disappeared at the NW buoy and got smaller at Waimea, so you would think it's gonna decrease in Maui too. And it's probably going to be a bit smaller than yesterday, but I remember the weak NW fetch that generated it staying in place for long time, so it's not going to be flat.
A bit hard to surf, but the windsurfers will have the help of the added windswell when the wind will pick up later in the day.

Lanai
1.6ft @ 13s from 193° (SSW)
As you can see, there's still traces of the angular spreading swell and Lahaina looks good again on the cam. I have no doubt where I'm gonna spend the morning.
.

Current wind map shows:
- the weak NW fetch that has moved and now is a weak (but close) N fetch. North shore surfers who don't like to drive should be very thankful for this fetch. Never got strong, but stayed in place for many days and will cause the north shore not to go flat most of this week.
- a narrow windswell fetch
- a fetch down south that could bring a small south swell in a week.


MC2km maps not updated at 7.30am (sorry about the late call, btw), according to the NAM model on windguru, windsurfing should happen today. But not if you look at the HRW one (too onshore). And it looks even worse if you look at the GFS one at the top of their page. One of those days in which you have to wait and see, I guess.

No comments: