Monday, December 23, 2019

Monday 12 23 19 morning call

Thanks to blog readers Wineishealthy, Bsmith117 and Kathy for the donations.
Normally I use the last week of the year to ask for donations to show the appreciation for the 2019 season of the MSR blog. This year I'll be off the island in that week, so I'll do it now.

Last post of the year for me, as I leave tonight to be back on January 8th. I'll leave you with brother Loch and this image showing the remarkable beauty of... everything.


Btw, Italy has been having really bad weather and strong wind and a friend of mine just sent me this photo of surfers in my home town Napoli. I launched the windsurfer many times in that spot, but I've never seen such a shorebreak, let alone anybody surfing. Maybe I should pack a wetsuit. Maybe not.


4am significant buoy readings and discussion
South shore
Barbers
0.5ft @ 16s from 195° (SSW)

Barbers records half a foot 16s of SSW energy (Lanai is down), so I went to look at the fetches maps from a week ago (Dec 16 and 17 below) and, sure enough, there was a small fetch in the Tasman Sea.
That might be barely visible in the water, so please check the Lahaina webcam if interested.


North shore
Pauwela
10ft @ 9s from 61° (ENE)
3.5ft @ 12s from 20° (NNE)
2.6ft @ 6s from 78° (ENE)

ENE energy continues very solid. I surfed Hookipa at sunset yesterday (that was one of the wildest sessions ever with gusts up to 25 knots, but fun nonetheless) and the waves were head and a half with occasional double overheaders, yet on the soft side of things. Expect similar sizes today, with the massive difference of no wind in the first few hours of light on the whole north shore. Eastern exposures will be pumping too.

Wind map at noon
       

     
Kahului Tides
High Tide     High Tide     Low Tide     Low Tide       Sunrise   Sunset
 1:19a  +2.5  11:55a  +1.5   7:31a  +1.0   6:33p  -0.4    7:01a   5:53p    

Small scattered fetches in the North Pacific. Well below average wave generation for the season.


Nothing at all from the south, but that's normal.


Morning sky.

No comments: