Wednesday, November 19, 2014

11 19 14 morning call

4am main swell buoy readings:

Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's north shore)
5.2ft @ 7s from 50° (NE)
4.5ft @ 9s from 356° (N)
2.8ft @ 11s from 348° (NNW)

West lanai (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's south shore)
1.2ft @ 15s from 216° (SW)
1.2ft @ 3s from 23° (NNE)
0.8ft @ 9s from 299° (WNW)
0.7ft @ 11s from 307° (WNW)
 
As you can see from the buoy reading (I had to add some explanation about the two main buoys that I always use, because some readers have absolutely no clue of where they are and how to read them), there's not really much on offer today. At least nothing clean. Also because the wind is going to be blowing pretty hard today, as the parallel isobars over the islands indicate in the weather map below.

 
Strong trade wind brings frequent squalls (that make the wind go up and down) and increases the windswell and the chop on the waves.
In other words, I pretty much hate it.
And since I'm off, I'm gonna try to escape it possibly spending my day on a leeward side. But when the wind is this strong, it screws up the weather also there. I mean, look at the wind map at 8am!
Only Kihei will have some morning calmness.
Mmm... maybe a downwinder on a standup could be fun...


Whatever you choose to do, have fun in the sun everyone!

No comments: