Saturday, January 02, 2016

1 2 16 morning call

Poor conditions on most of the north shore spots yesterday because of the light onshore wind and too much energy in the water. Honolua instead looked beautiful. Photo by Jeff Lackey.



Well the energy in the water today will be even more, as the three buoys graphs below clearly show.
NW buoy peaked around noon, Waimea 12h and Pauwela 15h later.
5am reading for Pauwela is
9.4ft @ 14s from 323° (NW)
5.4ft @ 9s from 349° (NNW)
2.3ft @ 5s from 16° (NNE)

That's a hell lot of mixed energy, good luck at finding a clean spot on the north shore (also because of the wind). West side would be my call... if I could surf!
Sorry, it's been 2 months and this morning I woke up to a flurry of  little cartilage clicks inside my rib cage and I got a bit of frustration going.

Barbers point is only reading the massive NW wrap, but I taught a SUP lesson yesterday at Thousand Peaks and the waves were beautiful knee to waist high with the occasional chest high set!
This is the weather map of 7 days ago (dec 26), so I'm pretty sure there is something on that side also today.


Remember on yesterday's wind map that fetch I said it wasn't going to do much for us (yet)? Well, if you don't just scroll down to yesterday's post. Today that same fetch is most definitely going to do something for us. No shortage of waves on the north shore these days. Too much to be enjoyable (unless you surf Jaws), actually.


I also pointed out a small cell of high pressure which will generate some light trades today. Below is the MC2km map at noon and it shows a speed of 10-15 knots. Not enough for the common windsurfers (the planers), also considering the size of the waves.


No comments: