Sunday, January 03, 2016

1 3 16 morning call

Yesterday was another day with big waves but not clean conditions on the north shore. I don't have an action shot, so I'll post this one from Jimmie Hepp. Here's what he says about it: This shot is from Hookipa with Kahakuloa, Maui in the foreground (midway) and the island of Molokai in the far background..
I don't know what lens he used, but it must have been a very clean day.



Lovely double hump in the buoy graphs below. Wave size should be similar to the last couple of days, maybe a touch cleaner because of the lack of wind, but not much.
At 3am Pauwela reads:
9ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)           
4.1ft @ 9s from 343° (NNW)
and the mix of periods is never a good thing.
But there's waves, so no complains.
No sign of the extra large swell at the NW buoy yet, so that's gonna be a Monday affair.


Wind map shows a new WNW fetch (the Tokio Express is working full steam) and the big, intense one that created tomorrow's swell now aiming mostly to the west coast. We'll still get waves from the very tail of it though.
I did a full run of the windity two weeks and I liked what I saw a lot: plenty waves, very little wind.
It was about time and I'm gonna be in the water looking for action.


MC2km map at noon shows the wind that it shows.


Here's a little update on my physical (and mental!) conditions for whom it may interest.
After yesterday morning's click flurry I figured there's no point at resting if the thing clicks just for a hiccup or for turning in bed. I don't know if it's ever going to heal, but if it does for sure it won't be because of resting. So yesterday morning - quite pissed off - I got on my SUP and surfed Kanaha. Didn't surf it since last year, plus two months without surfing, plus very shifty and hard to read waves made for a horrible start that made me even more pissed off.
Then I finally got a good one and managed to release some of the frustration into the turns.

In the afternoon I went back there with the windsurfer. No problem doing that either, just not particularly exciting conditions.
But what I really want to do is shortboard surfing, so I worked on another design of rib cage padding and I'll test it today. Needless to say, stay tuned if you want to know how went.

No comments: