Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Wednesday 7 18 18 morning call

A longboard, a SUP foiling and a shortboard session for me yesterday, as this fantastic summer keeps on giving. I caught about 10 waves in the first, 20 in the second and 3 in the third. It might be that scarcity makes it precious, but the feeling of pushing hard on the fins, turning tight and hitting the lip when shortboarding remains my favorite, without a doubt.

It might also be because I'm not as good as Nathan here. He can ride 30-40 waves without coming down and he's gonna do the upcoming Molokai to Oahu (July 29) race on a SUP with the foil. It'll be interesting to see how he does compared Kai and Zane. Talking about which, I got some insides from the last Maui to Molokai race, but I'll wait until a great video that I saw on facebook gets uploaded on youtube.



3am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
1.7ft @ 14s from 162° (SSE)

SW
1.9ft @ 14s from 166° (SSE)

SE
2.4ft @ 14s from 140° (SE)

Barbers
1.4ft @ 15s from 200° (SSW)
0.5ft @ 22s from 199° (SSW)

14-15s swell holds on and will provide most of the waves for the day (still the usual knee to waist is my guess, but I'll report when I get there), but Barbers also feels half a foot @ 22s which is a good sign for the upcoming days. The map of July 10 was an intricate one. Lots of strong fetches, which I circled in red if oriented towards us, in blue if oriented elsewhere but with hope of angular spreading.
In the midst of all that circling, I overlooked a direct fetch to the S of the Tasman Sea which, seen the direction at Barbers (which is more or less reliable), could be the source of the very long period energy. I made amend by circling it in black and publishing it again here below.


North shore
Pauwela
5.4ft @ 9s from 82° (E)
4.4ft @ 6s from 73° (ENE)

The period went up a second at Pauwela, and today the waves at Hookipa should reflect that. Occasionally shoulder to head high is my optimistic guess, seen the not ideal direction.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has the windswell fetch, today with a bit of length.


South Pacific map has scattered little fetches, but overall pretty grim for the second day in a row.


Morning sky shows clouds moving in from the west.

No comments: