Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sunday 3 12 17 morning call

Beautiful conditions yesterday morning at Hookipa, if you take the wind out of the equation, it doesn't matter if it's only chest to shoulder (with occasional head high ones).


Later in the morning, the APP SUP sprint race took place, the photos are from Jimmie Hepp from this gallery. Winners were Casper Steinfath and Terrene Black. Full results here.


4am significant buoy readings.
South shore

Lanai
1.3ft @ 15s from 203° (SSW)
1.3ft @ 11s from 227° (SW)
Still small long period energy at the buoy, yesterday Lahaina side was waist high +.

North shore
NW101
5ft @ 8s from 329° (NW)

Hanalei
0.8ft @ 13s from 318° (NW)           
0.4ft @ 15s from 320° (NW)
 
Waimea
2.1ft @ 9s from 340° (NNW)
1.2ft @ 11s from 10° (N)
0.6ft @ 15s from 249° (WSW)
 
Pauwela
4ft @ 9s from 74° (ENE)
 
Not much on offer on the north shore today. This is what the wind map looked on Thursday and that explains why.

Also no clear signs of the next swell at the buoys. Let me remind you that, based on my experience, the NW buoys are not quite as able to detect low long period swells if there's other higher swells (like 5s 8s), so there might be something hitting them, but we don't see it just yet. Hanalei instead has very low long period NW readings, but overall I feel like trusting the NOAA WW3 model that calls for the first long period reading only at .5f 17s at 4am tomorrow. There might be an increase of low period energy at sunset, but overall this is going to be a very small day on the north shore all day. Hookipa might be the only place with waves, actually.

I think I'll spend the whole day on the south side, where yesterday I gave SUP foiling another hour of try. I now have 2 SUP and 2 windsurfing foiling (attempt) sessions and I'm still far for foiling and from having fun. This thing ain't easy you guys. But Dave Kalama's stoked eyes are still planted in my brain and I'm gonna insist.

MC2km map at noon updated on a Sunday at 5.30am?!?! That must be a first!
Anyway, lovely lack of wind all over, I'm curious to see if that sideshore area of 5-10 knots will happen in Lahaina and east of it.


Should be another stunner of a day.



Current wind map shows:
1) not particularly well oriented WNW fetch
2) weak N fetch
3) ENE fetch
This configuration will give us small mid period swells from multiple directions mid next week.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Hi Giampaolo,

Over 9 years and still reading your blog every day (so it must be pretty good ;-))

Happy that you are still having a blast!

Mahalo from the Netherlands,

Robin

P.s. Not trying to be a smartass, didn't ANNIE REICKERT (HI) Winn the women's sprint?

cammar said...

Hi Robin,
thanks for reading for so long.
I reported what the press release email from APP said...

Robin said...

Hi Giampaolo,

So sorry, totally my bad, got my info of the web......

Next time on Maui I will buy you a beer (probably not drinking beer anymore, but whatever you would like) as you bought me a beer the last time I was there.

Mahalo

Robin