Friday, March 10, 2017

Friday 3 10 17 morning call

Pretty gorgeous day of surfing (at least for me, three sessions) yesterday in Maui . Here's some photos from the contest at Honolua. The open men division saw some serious shredding and was won by an in form Tanner Hendrickson. Dege O'Connell and Granger Larsen were the standouts of the round 1 heats I saw, let's see if by tomorrow I manage to find the complete results online. Links in comments appreciated.

Still trying to make my camera work on some sort of settings.


From the place I was shooting I couldn't hear the announcer (who was pretty good), and I don't know who this guy is.


This is from the Legends division. Looks like it could be Wandell Payne, but I'm not sure. Solid size wave.


This instead is Buzzy Kerbox chargind on his Jimmy Lewis destroyer (looks like a 6.6).


That's the set that made me go surf the point. When I got out of the water, I calculated there was enough time for another session on the north shore, so I left and didn't watch the rest of contest (glad I did, because I had a blast!). By that time, the wind had completely turned offshore and despite the fact that the swell was slowing down, the last set I saw was a 10. Those guys scored.


4-5am significant buoy readings
South shore

Lanai
2.4ft @ 13s from 262° (W)                      
0.8ft @ 18s from 211° (SW)
 
The first reading is the wrap of the NW swell, don't get too excited about the direction, I think the buoy is getting influenced by the second reading which instead is a proper southerly energy one! Below is the map of March 2nd and the one with the question mark is the only fetch I could possibly credit for that energy. Probably super inconsistent, check the webcams.
 


North shore
NW101
5.3ft @ 11s from 333° (NNW)
4.6ft @ 10s from 344° (NNW)

Waimea
7.5ft @ 13s from 326° (NW)
2.8ft @ 10s from 330° (NW)

Pauwela
4.2ft @ 13s from 335° (NNW)           
3.8ft @ 9s from 10° (N)
 
Swell in decline at all the buoys, with the exception of Waimea that had a little rebound (red circle in the graph), but that might be just a glitch. 4f 13s is still a fun size and those 4f 9s from 10 degrees might make a lot of more spots work, other than the usual north shore suspects. 
NAM3km map at 2pm shows an attempt of trades. Check the MC2km maps when they become updated.


Should be gorgeous today.


Current wind map shows:
1) weak westerly fetch
2) did I see this already a few days ago? Yes I did and it was the fetch that made the current swell. This one is just a little more distant. 7.4f 12s from 312 predicted by Surfline for Monday at 2pm. Btw, Surfline was completely off for the current swell, which never went not even close to those 12f they were calling.

No comments: