Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday 7 27 18 morning call

Foiling downwind attempt n. 9 (I think) for me yesterday. First time on my new 5.8 Kalama SUP foiling board which is awesome for waves but definitely not ideal for downwinding. I managed to get it foiling 4-5 times, only one of which I kept it flying for what felt like 10 seconds (so it was probably 5).

The (fun) struggle continues, but I'll keep doing them (if there's nothing better to do) as every time I seem to figure out something. A proper downwind board (I'm thinking 7.6x26) would help at this stage where the main issue is to catch the little bumps that would give you enough speed to start foiling, but then the length would probably hinder the flying part or at least be not as good as a much shorter board. So I'll stick to mine and try to improve on that paddling and pumping technique that make guys like Kai and Zane able to start foiling even in flat water and no wind.

Talking about Kai, he lately shared a run with a 9 year old fan of him called Bobo Gallagher. Here they're posing with an ex Kai surfboard that Bobo got at the Hi-Tech anniversary sale.


And here they are in action. What a nice thing to do by our superwaterman. Photos by Tomoko.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore

Barbers
2.8ft @ 8s from 159° (SSE)
1ft @ 12s from 178° (S)
0.8ft @ 16s from 189° (S)

Lanai
1.7ft @ 9s from 167° (SSE)                        
0.9ft @ 16s from 204° (SSW)
 
The southern hemisphere trades windswell made its way to the buoys, I consider that mostly a disturbance in the (eventual) clean long period lines coming from the south. We shouldn't be not too effected by it on the Lahaina side, as the Big Island and the Haleakala should protect us, but it'll be interesting to see what's in the water today over there.

In fact, I'm going again this morning (stay tuned for the beach report), because of the lack of alternatives and because of that low 16s energy that hopefully will be enough for something. Below is the collage of the maps of July 20,21 and 22 that shows a weak fetch in the Tasman Sea which is probably the source of it.


North shore
Pauwela
3.8ft @ 5s from 67° (ENE)
3.3ft @ 9s from 73° (ENE)
 
Lack of alternatives I was mentioning, but in reality it's a personal choice, as I could chase those 3f 9s at Pavils. Unfortunately, that is my least favorite spot on the island, so I'd rather drive. Waiehu side should have favorable wind in the early morning, according to the model at link n. -2, of which I daily report the map at noon here below.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has the windswell fetch.


South Pacific has a couple of tiny fetches.


Morning sky.

No comments: