Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Tuesday 7 17 18 morning call

Another excellent longboard and a SUP foiling session for me yesterday. The second one allowed me to witness the best prone foiling I've ever seen, Kai Lenny included. This south African kid called Nathan is a real pelican.

For the third time in the last couple of weeks, the waves in Lahaina improved greatly in the second half of the morning. Obviously, it's not a tide thing, as it was different all the times, it must be a remarkable coincidence. Here's a couple of shots between sessions.

Why do I drive every morning to the south shore? The answer is in the superior quality of the conditions. Why do I live in Maui? One of the reasons is that it has the shortest commute time between north and south shore.


A big set hits the guardrails area.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
1.7ft @ 13s from 173° (S)

SW
1.6ft @ 15s from 170° (S)

SE
1.7ft @ 13s from 142° (SE)

Barbers
2ft @ 14s from 212° (SW)

There we go again, 2f 14s... I'll report when I get there, but you guys should know by now what that means: uncrowded, small, clean waves. No signs yet of the energy of the fetches E of New Zealand I outlined in yesterday's collage. No big deal, as we still have the Tasman Sea energy going. Barbers' direction is correct, the outer buoys, as usual, are all over the place. Surfline told me that they will add Lanai, but it hasn't happened yet. I'll send email n.5.

North shore
Pauwela
6.1ft @ 8s from 83° (E)

Slightly bigger windswell at Pauwela, nonetheless Hookipa looked pretty small (like waist high) from the distance yesterday at sunset.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific only has the windswell fetch.


South Pacific has a couple of small SSE fetches.


Morning sky.

No comments: