Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wednesday 5 15 19 morning call

Another day of forced rest for me. I did go Lahaina side to film a customer willing to improve his SUP surfing. I'm injured and can't surf, so special price of $50/hour if you're interested in this service. Regular price when I'm healthy is $80.

Here's a couple of frame grabs that show the excellent conditions he scored.


While filming each single clip, I commented in real time what I thought about the wave and his lines/moves. Then I added more comments after the wave. And then at home I did further analysis and emailed that too.


The bottom turn above, for example, triggered a reflection about how straight his front leg is. So I went on youtube and searched for "Zane Schweitzer SUP surfing" and emailed him the link to the first video that came out. Check out how compressed on both legs he is in this picture below. Ready to extend and compress off the top again.


I did get distracted a couple of times.


5am significant buoy readings
Barbers
2.9ft @ 14s from 191° (SSW)
Lanai
3.3ft @ 14s from 192° (SSW)

South swell tapering down but still providing fun size waves all day. This is a head high one at the harbor, I bet there's still overhead sets here and there, but overall, much more manageable than the past few days. Less closeouts at most spots thanks to the shorter period. In other words, another great day of surfing on the south shore. Check the webcam before going, always.


North shore
Pauwela
3ft @ 9s from 15° (NNE)

Hookipa waist to shoulder high with occasional head highers is my call from home with that reading. Bit windy though.

Wind map at noon.



North Pacific has a NW fetch that is not too strong, but nice and elongated. NW swell are going to get more and more rare as we approach July (which is the month in which, in my experience, Hookipa is the flattest from that direction), so this one is not bad at all considering the seasons. 3ft 11s predicted by Surfline on Sunday.


South Pacific offers a nice fetch that is partially blocked by New Zealand. May has been great so far and more big swells are predicted for the rest of it (5.5ft 16s on Monday the 27th, for example).


Morning sky.

No comments: